• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Management (Apartment) and the Right to Trespass Residents from Amenities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heyimjimmy5569

I am a Security Office contracted by a Property Management company that manages an apartment complex in Florida. We have been brought on due to recent property damage that they would like stopped. We were told to trespass anyone, whether they lived on property or not, if they used the pools or play ground after posted hours, loitered in the parking lot or hallways etc.

This morning, around 2am, I observed some juveniles in one of the pools and called the county Sheriff's Office and had them come out and issue trespass warnings, which they did. However, they stated that they have been told by the departments Lawyers, that if they were residents, that they would not be able to issue trespass warnings. When I asked why, that stated a recent court decision limits HOAs to the point they can't issue trespass warnings to any common areas.

My questions are....

Property Management for apartments and HOAs are different right?
Amenities owned by the property management, including parking lots and hallways are not "common areas", right?

Am I missing something here or can I trespass apartment leasees from amenities and whatnot if we feel it's necessary?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">