• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Management company went out of business trying to apply for a new apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shrinekikyo

I reside in Virginia. My current apartment lease is going to be up at the end of December. I have an apartment that i want when my lease is up. They say they can overturn the eviction on my credit (there is a story there but unnecessary at the moment) once they receive proof that everything was paid off. The charge she is referring to is an unlawful detainer, which was dismissed and can be found on the court website. i spoke to the attorney that handled that eviction (has nothing to do with my current apt complex) he pretty much said he couldn't help me. a bunch of legal jumbo but that was the jist. i called the current property i was interested in and let them know, they told me to call the property management that had me for the unlawful detainer. That property management went out of business. I called the apt complex im interested in and told her what was going on, she said she would speak to her bosses and see what she can do then she would get back to me. I'm trying to be proactive as well though, what should i do? The whole reason for that eviction was because the people i lived with were supposed to bring their pay stubs to prove they can take care of the lease so i can be signed off of the lease, they never presented them, so despite me being gone i still got hit because i couldn't sign off the lease. What should i do so i can get the new apartment?

adjusterjack

The charge she is referring to is an unlawful detainer, which was dismissed and can be found on the court website.
Nobody's going to rely on the court's website. Go to the courthouse and buy a couple of certified copies of the dismissal.

i spoke to the attorney that handled that eviction (has nothing to do with my current apt complex) he pretty much said he couldn't help me. a bunch of legal jumbo but that was the jist.
Not legal jumbo. The case was closed, he was paid. He won't lift a finger without charging somebody his hourly fee.

the people i lived with were supposed to
Another good argument for avoiding roommate arrangements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">