• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Management question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnfc

What is the name of your state?

Virginia

Do you need to have a real estate broker license specifically, or is a real estate salespersons license adequate to practice property management. Please note that this is for the state of Virginia and that this answer will vary from state to state. Thanks for any help. -John

HomeGuru

johnfc said:
What is the name of your state?

Virginia

Do you need to have a real estate broker license specifically, or is a real estate salespersons license adequate to practice property management. Please note that this is for the state of Virginia and that this answer will vary from state to state. Thanks for any help. -John

**A: need details. Are you going to manage your own property or for one entity such as a family trust? If not, you need to have at least a sales license. If you will be sole company owner, then you need a broker's license.

johnfc

HomeGuru,

Thank you for the reply. This will be a property management business for properties of various owners. My dad and I are planning to setup the business, however, neither of use has our broker license(I only have my salespersons license). My father and I plan on being the company owners as well. Is there a way to setup via a 3rd party(broker) my father and I's business or will one of us definetly need a broker's license. I really appreciate the information.

Best Regards,
John

HomeGuru

johnfc said:
HomeGuru,

Thank you for the reply. This will be a property management business for properties of various owners. My dad and I are planning to setup the business, however, neither of use has our broker license(I only have my salespersons license). My father and I plan on being the company owners as well. Is there a way to setup via a 3rd party(broker) my father and I's business or will one of us definetly need a broker's license. I really appreciate the information.

Best Regards,
John

**A: per state licensing law, either you or Dad needs to have a broker's license or you need to hire a licensed broker.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">