• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property management

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Urgentbizz

CA- I’m a Property mananger, my compensation changed, when two of my portfolio buildings sold, then i was part time. They then had me start paying rent. My question is do I require notice ahead? Or is it different because I’m an employee ? I wasn’t given anything in writing. Only a few phone calls before the change took effect. I went from 0 to above $500 with no written notice before hand. My compensation changed from a set rate to $12 with no notice of this change nor a updated contract. Stating rent or pay change. Is something wrong here ?

PayrollHRGuy

Written notice while a good idea is not required to change an employee's wages by law. But we don't know what the original contract you had with your employer said so we can't say if it required such notice.

quincy

CA- I’m a Property mananger, my compensation changed, when two of my portfolio buildings sold, then i was part time. They then had me start paying rent. My question is do I require notice ahead? Or is it different because I’m an employee ? I wasn’t given anything in writing. Only a few phone calls before the change took effect. I went from 0 to above $500 with no written notice before hand. My compensation changed from a set rate to $12 with no notice of this change nor a updated contract. Stating rent or pay change. Is something wrong here ?
What exactly does your contract say?

If you were provided housing as part of your employment compensation for the position you held as property manager, and your job position and duties have changed, your employer does not have to include housing as part of your compensation in your new position.

quincy

You are fortunate in some ways, Urgentbizz, that your employer has changed from providing you with free accommodations to charging you rent.

When housing is provided free to an employee as part of his employment compensation and the employment position is changed or terminated, the employer can move directly to court to evict the employee. When rent is paid, on the other hand, the employer must follow the landlord/tenant laws (which includes providing advance notice before there can be an eviction).

The above is absent any employment contract to the contrary.

I agree with adjusterjack that this might be a good time to start looking for another job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">