• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property manager asked for rent in cash and I refused because I would not have a good receipt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

travistee2

What is the name of your state? VT

I stayed at a place in VT for a few months while traveling. I didn't have a lease and paid monthly.

The property manager said she needed cash and demanded that I pay cash instead of check as usual.
She said that if I didn't pay cash I would have to leave. So she gave me two weeks notice , I paid by check and I left.

The problem was that I thought she would keep the cash and say I didn't pay.

I talked to the owner of the building and he said he knows she skims money but he wasn't going to do anything about it.

If he doesn't care if she steals his money that is ok with me.
If he doesn't care if she steals my money that is not ok with me.

The question is, did the property manager or the owner do anything illegal?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? VT

I stayed at a place in VT for a few months while traveling. I didn't have a lease and paid monthly.

The property manager said she needed cash and demanded that I pay cash instead of check as usual.
She said that if I didn't pay cash I would have to leave. So she gave me two weeks notice , I paid by check and I left.

The problem was that I thought she would keep the cash and say I didn't pay.

I talked to the owner of the building and he said he knows she skims money but he wasn't going to do anything about it.

If he doesn't care if she steals his money that is ok with me.
If he doesn't care if she steals my money that is not ok with me.

The question is, did the property manager or the owner do anything illegal?
This is obviously a purely hypothetical question...right?

You and the property manager came to an agreement. That is all.

travistee2

This is obviously a purely hypothetical question...right?

You and the property manager came to an agreement. That is all.
Well we didn't exactly come to an agreement since I wasn't given a choice.
The facts are not hypothetical. I just want to know if anyone thinks that any of this was illegal.

The owner of the building didn't disagree that she was probably going to steal the money.

This is not a real problem for me. I just wanted other opinions.

Zigner

This is not a real problem for me. I just wanted other opinions.
This forum is designed to help people who have actual problems. You and the other party agreed that you would no longer live there. You paid by check and left. The matter is concluded.

Zigner

Z. Since you are not an attorney why don't we wait and see if there are other opinions.
Opinions about what? You voluntarily paid and departed. I don't know what you expect to do at this point, and your hypothetical musings are, frankly, a waste of time.

Gail in Georgia

What are you trying to prove here?

If the owner of the building stated they know the property manager skims money but isn't going to do anything about this, that is their choice.

You had what sounds like a tenancy at will (i.e., a month to month lease) in this situation. Such leases can be easily terminated by either party with the appropriate amount of notice. No real reason for termination need be provided. Two weeks was likely a short notice for your state (30 days is often the amount required) but it sounds like you agreed to this time frame and left.

Some landlords/property managers do not like to take checks because of the concern of tenants writing bad checks. They will accept cash, money orders, cashiers checks, direct deposit, etc. over personal checks. If you provide cash in these cases it is always good to request a receipt for such.

Gail

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. No one did anything illegal. There was nothing stopping you from asking for a receipt for the cash.

FarmerJ

If you wanted a receipt all kinds of stores sell receipt books that have carbon paper with them or self copy, you fill it out and make the person your paying sign it as you have money right there in your hand or you video record your self counting it to the other person and if you can them picking it up. AS to the past situation its done , you no longer live there.

quincy

Even a scrap of paper signed and dated by both parties, showing receipt of cash payment, works.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">