• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Manager has been signing mortgage documents as if he were hoa president

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hi, I've been dealing with a corrupt hoa and property manager. A new arrival to the community brought to my attention that the property manager had signed his mortgage documents as if he were board president. He isn't and has never held a position on the board. I know a home sold while I was hoa president and I plan on finding out if he signed in my place on those documents too, right now I only know of my documents and this newcomers.

Is this illegal? Suggestions on how to pursue?

adjusterjack

The property manager acts as agent for the HOA board.

Probably legal if the Board granted him broad, unspecified management duties. Quite common.

You would have to study the contract between the manager and the board.

What, exactly, do you mean by "signed his mortgage documents"?

What mortgage documents? What part of the documents? For what purpose is the property manager's signature needed on any mortgage documents? Or any board member's signature, for that matter?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
If the board delegated to the property manager the power to do that, then it's legal. And it's not uncommon for a board to delegate that kind of stuff to a professional property manager. If the manager didn't have the power to do that, then it is the board that would have to take action to fix it.

zddoodah

You haven't clearly described what's happened such that anyone could make an intelligent assessment of legality. If you're still a member of the HOA board, then you can seek to persuade the rest of the board to retain legal counsel to review the situation. If you're not still a member of the board, then all you can do is urge the current board members to do that. That said, I agree generally with both of the prior responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">