• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property of deceased relative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnsonv

What is the name of your state? Texas

Recently, my mother found out that her deceased grandmother owned property in the state of Texas. My mother lives in California, and became aware that other relatives knew about this property and have been selling timber off some of the land and she heard that oil has also been sold from some of the land. My question is how can my mother go about instating her claim to her share of the land and possibly getting her share of past timber and oil that has been sold. I also would like to know if she should get a lawyer to help in her quest and what should this lawyer specialize in?

Thanks in advance,

V. Johnson

You need to contact a probate lawyer. I'm not sure if you can get a local one or if you have to get one from the town where your grandmother lived. If she filed a will then the lawyer would find it.

BlondiePB

johnsonv said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

Recently, my mother found out that her deceased grandmother owned property in the state of Texas. My mother lives in California, and became aware that other relatives knew about this property and have been selling timber off some of the land and she heard that oil has also been sold from some of the land. My question is how can my mother go about instating her claim to her share of the land and possibly getting her share of past timber and oil that has been sold. I also would like to know if she should get a lawyer to help in her quest and what should this lawyer specialize in?

Thanks in advance,

V. Johnson
First, call the probate division of the courthouse in the county where granny was domiciled to find out if probate was opened and request a copy of the probate file. It will cost a nominal fee for a copy of the file.

You also need to learn how the property was titled and whether or not the property was titled so that it did not have to go through probate at all and became property of relatives through such devises that would do so.

A probate attorney where granny was domiciled can be hired should your mom need to open an intestate (without will) probate case. This will force the relatives to produce any valid will of granny's. Since you live in TX where all this is happening and mom lives in CA, consider opening probate yourself and file/petition to be the executor if you find that probate has not been opened.

You should be able to find a probate attorney that is also experienced with estates dealing with oil and timber rights.

BlondiePB

I'm not sure if you can get a local one or if you have to get one from the town where your grandmother lived.
Then, STOP answering these posts.
If she filed a will then the lawyer would find it
Gee, Hoppy, you don't need a lawyer to find a will that has been probated. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">