• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Purchased and inherited before Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CamelliaRose

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

This is really for my sister who is going through a very rough time. She and her husband have only been married for 8 months. During this time his attitude and behavior just took her to the point of asking him to leave. Prior to this he had invited a friend to stay with them and work with him. His friend had also noticed the behavior issues and when her husband left he decided to continue to stay. There was no relationship between them, but her husband assumed the worst and brought the police to the house arresting the guy for "trespassing". My sister was flabbergasted and called him an a-hole in front of the 9 police officers that were present which allowed them to also arrest her for "domestic violence". Now they have proceeded to the divorce stage. With her being in jail, he moved back into the house that was bought before they married with assets inherited by my sister from my mother's estate. Although he insisted that his name be on the deed and listed first before he would write the check for the purchase. The account was joint account.

He claims to have handed over her computers to his lawyer. However, he has successfully hacked into her Facebook account and at least 2 of her email accounts that we know of. He recently put out one of the sofa's in the yard and set it on fire. He also has begun selling off Heirloom furniture. She has no lawyer because she can afford one and none of the legal aid offices would touch it due to the property issue.

Is there anything she can do to stop him from selling her family heirlooms and destroying the other items in the house. She went to the police and they have not done anything. They basically told her as he also owns the house he can pretty much do whatever he wants. She is due to go to court for the divorce on the 9th. So, an early reply would be very helpful.

She also has reported the laptops and the hacking, here again the police have done nothing even though there are laws in Alabama (at least according to the internet) against internet crimes like hacking.

I am far away from her and really don't know how to help. So, reaching out to legal networks for any advice.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

This is really for my sister who is going through a very rough time. She and her husband have only been married for 8 months. During this time his attitude and behavior just took her to the point of asking him to leave. Prior to this he had invited a friend to stay with them and work with him. His friend had also noticed the behavior issues and when her husband left he decided to continue to stay. There was no relationship between them, but her husband assumed the worst and brought the police to the house arresting the guy for "trespassing". My sister was flabbergasted and called him an a-hole in front of the 9 police officers that were present which allowed them to also arrest her for "domestic violence". Now they have proceeded to the divorce stage. With her being in jail, he moved back into the house that was bought before they married with assets inherited by my sister from my mother's estate. Although he insisted that his name be on the deed and listed first before he would write the check for the purchase. The account was joint account.

He claims to have handed over her computers to his lawyer. However, he has successfully hacked into her Facebook account and at least 2 of her email accounts that we know of. He recently put out one of the sofa's in the yard and set it on fire. He also has begun selling off Heirloom furniture. She has no lawyer because she can afford one and none of the legal aid offices would touch it due to the property issue.

Is there anything she can do to stop him from selling her family heirlooms and destroying the other items in the house. She went to the police and they have not done anything. They basically told her as he also owns the house he can pretty much do whatever he wants. She is due to go to court for the divorce on the 9th. So, an early reply would be very helpful.

She also has reported the laptops and the hacking, here again the police have done nothing even though there are laws in Alabama (at least according to the internet) against internet crimes like hacking.

I am far away from her and really don't know how to help. So, reaching out to legal networks for any advice.
Send her the money for an attorney, then. :cool:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well.... what about moving the pieces she wants to keep into storage? Does she have an inventory of the property? Pictures and appraisals will be important.

The problem is, your help will be of minimal use - if she is representing herself, she needs to educate herself.

I'mTheFather

How long has she been in jail for calling her husband an a-hole? Don't you think you're missing some of the story? I sure do.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

He is on the deed and is therefore an owner of the house. The house is NOT your sister's separate property. She gifted him the home when she allowed his name to be placed on the deed. And if the bank account was a joint account, your sister could have written the check. She chose this. How long has she been in jail? When did she get out of jail?

He claims to have handed over her computers to his lawyer. However, he has successfully hacked into her Facebook account and at least 2 of her email accounts that we know of.
Really? How do you know he "hacked" into them?

He recently put out one of the sofa's in the yard and set it on fire.
When was the sofa bought?

He also has begun selling off Heirloom furniture.
What evidence do you have of that?
She has no lawyer because she can afford one and none of the legal aid offices would touch it due to the property issue.

He does own the house as well as her.

Hacking? Prove it. Did he just open up facebook and your sister had her passwords saved for it so she was already logged in? Same with email accounts?
The only thing you can do is give her money for an attorney.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You know, if I was in a position to do so I would. I really would rather a practical answer rather than snide comments.
A practical answer is that this is NOT your legal business and you don't have all the facts. So quite frankly, you can't do anything BUT send money.

CamelliaRose

How long has she been in jail for calling her husband an a-hole? Don't you think you're missing some of the story? I sure do.
She was held for 2 days until I posted her bail. No I'm not missing some of the story. He arrived while she was out of the house doing errands accompanied by 9 police officers (overkill much?). They arrested his friend first as he claimed he was trespassing (although he himself had invited him to stay) and she responding by calling him an a-hole for doing so. The police then arrested her (the first time in her life she was arrested for anything) for domestic violence.

CamelliaRose

He is on the deed and is therefore an owner of the house. The house is NOT your sister's separate property. She gifted him the home when she allowed his name to be placed on the deed. And if the bank account was a joint account, your sister could have written the check. She chose this. How long has she been in jail? When did she get out of jail? She was in jail for a couple of days until I arranged her bail. For some reason, she didn't understand she was a joint account holder at the time they were buying the house. It wasn't until recently when she requested statements to show the source and destination of the inheritance that she came to know she was actually on the account.

Really? How do you know he "hacked" into them? Because she didn't give him the passwords and had changed them since separating from him. Because he deleted specific emails I had sent her with attachments relating to her divorce case.

When was the sofa bought? After they bought the house.

What evidence do you have of that? A video he posted publicly on Facebook.

He does own the house as well as her.

Hacking? Prove it. Did he just open up facebook and your sister had her passwords saved for it so she was already logged in? Same with email accounts? No, she had already changed all the passwords. This was definite hacking. First he hacked into the email attached to her Facebook account. We know this for a fact as it was later blocked by the email provider (Microsoft) due to too many password changes. Then he reset the Facebook password through said email address. Then he made statuses and messages to her contacts. We're pretty darn sure it was him. Can't fathom you're random hacker posting the things he did.

The only thing you can do is give her money for an attorney.
I would if I could. I live in Bangladesh and have my own finance issues. I was barely able to bail her out.

Last edited:

CamelliaRose

Well.... what about moving the pieces she wants to keep into storage? Does she have an inventory of the property? Pictures and appraisals will be important.

The problem is, your help will be of minimal use - if she is representing herself, she needs to educate herself.
The police won't allow her to go back to the house. She has called them and they inquired if she has a change of clothes and toothbrush when she says yes, then they say she doesn't need to go to the house then. They have been most unhelpful and he has an order of protection so she can't just go on her own.

Proserpina

The police won't allow her to go back to the house. She has called them and they inquired if she has a change of clothes and toothbrush when she says yes, then they say she doesn't need to go to the house then. They have been most unhelpful and he has an order of protection so she can't just go on her own.

That's the issue right there. Have they actually been to court about that restraining order? Is it a temporary order until the matter is heard in court?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She was in jail for a couple of days until I arranged her bail. For some reason, she didn't understand she was a joint account holder at the time they were buying the house. It wasn't until recently when she requested statements to show the source and destination of the inheritance that she came to know she was actually on the account.
Her stupidity is her own fault.
Because she didn't give him the passwords and had changed them since separating from him. Because he deleted specific emails I had sent her with attachments relating to her divorce case.
HOW DO YOU KNOW HE DID IT? What evidence do you have that HE did this? Assuming it doesn't make it so. It also is not evidence worth anything. Furthermore if she saved the passwords on the computer that doesn't mean he hacked into it.

When was the sofa bought? After they bought the house.
It was HIS sofa as well then. Not criminal to destroy something YOU outright own.

What evidence do you have of that? A video he posted publicly on Facebook.
Really?

No, she had already changed all the passwords. This was definite hacking. First he hacked into the email attached to her Facebook account. We know this for a fact as it was later blocked by the email provider (Microsoft) due to too many password changes. Then he reset the Facebook password through said email address. Then he made statuses and messages to her contacts. We're pretty darn sure it was him. Can't fathom you're random hacker posting the things he did.
Pretty darn sure doesn't make it so and it is not evidence.

I would if I could. I live in Bangladesh and have my own finance issues. I was barely able to bail her out.
Well your sister made her bed. She needs to be a big girl and deal with it. And you do NOT know what happened. YOU WERE NOT THERE. Now were you?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She was held for 2 days until I posted her bail. No I'm not missing some of the story. He arrived while she was out of the house doing errands accompanied by 9 police officers (overkill much?). They arrested his friend first as he claimed he was trespassing (although he himself had invited him to stay) and she responding by calling him an a-hole for doing so. The police then arrested her (the first time in her life she was arrested for anything) for domestic violence.
Really? So you witnessed all of this, right? Yeah, I doubt it. So therefore you are not being told everything.

Silverplum

I didn't even notice you'd replied other than these sentences.

If you wish to be noticed, bold your replies or figure out how to break up the quotes.

But there's nothing you can do from Bangladesh. It was nice of you to bail her out, but she's going to have to figure out her own life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">