• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property tax unpaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

littleandy

What is the name of your state? MA

I bought my home in 12/2010. Recently I received a letter from an attorney's office indicating I didn't pay tax for the Q1 of 2011, the first quarter after I purchased my home. There has been no additional payment missing since then.

Collector office told me, even this is unusual and they didn't send additional bills or showing unpaid balance in my later bills, I am still responsible for the tax, interests, penalties and attorney's fee.

Both the collector and I agree it is possible that Q1/2010 bill was sent to previous owners directly by post office as changing owner's name was likely happened at later time. So I like to dispute the bill especially for the huge penalties and interested. How and where should I appeal this and how likely I can win the dispute?

My appeal points include: city didn't send additional bills, nor showing balance in later bills, or shouldn't wait so long.

Thanks in advance for your expert opinion.

Andy

quincy

One thread is all that is necessary on this forum, Andy. Your other thread will be deleted.

A tax professional should be by to help you shortly.

LdiJ

One thread is all that is necessary on this forum, Andy. Your other thread will be deleted.

A tax professional should be by to help you shortly.
I don't know if any of the tax professionals here are going to be of much help. Property taxes are very state/local specific and don't have anything to do with income tax. You would need someone experienced with MA property taxes and probably experienced in the specific county in question.

Mass_Shyster

There's a reason they call our state "Taxachusetts".

Your best bet is to contact a city or town elected official. The tax man doesn't care about anything but collecting money, and has no reason to reduce the bill.

You should also check with your mortgage company to see if (a) they were supposed to pay or (b) if they actually did pay it.

** Note if you live in Barre, the answer is completely different. The Barre tax collector was convicted of pocketing tax payments made between 2005 and 2011

*** Added note. You wrote that the Q1 tax payment for 2011 was not made. Q1 in my town would have been 7/1/10 through 9/30/10, BEFORE your bought your house. This should have been paid at closing.

adjusterjack

Why wasn't the property tax pro-rated for close of escrow? Every house I've ever bought since the 1970s, the title/escrow company got the tax records and did the figuring.

Littleandy, do you have your closing statement? Check it to see if property tax was prorated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">