• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shepherd

I lived in a mobile home that belongs to my brother, when he was incarcerated. I mailed the mobile home payments directly to the lender. The mobile home park gave the tax assessor's office my name as the owner of the mobile home, and the taxes were assessed in both my brother's name and mine. I never received any tax bills in the mail, although the county auditor states they did. The lawyer for the county has a signed certified notice from several years back that my then 10 year old son signed for, but I never saw it-he probably tossed it away. Now we are being sued for property taxes owed. I have obtained a copy of the title on the mobile home, which clearly states that the mobile home is in his name only. I have already tried to file a Form 133, but the county auditor's office says they cannot change the assessment since it is already in court. I have been in contact with the lawyer for the county, and told him about the title I have, and he basically told me that nobody cares what evidence I have that the property is not mine, that the taxes were assessed in my name, and they don't care who pays for them, they just want payment. I need to know if I have a case. I have a court date in just 2 days, so any response would be appreciated!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">