• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

can anything be done about this

• which issue is likely to get my case reconsidered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • where do i start

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

leecohn254

texas
Hello I have a situation that i need advice. I will try to keep this as short as possible without leaving anything out. Its about property taxes. When my aunt died she had past due property taxes on the home i was renting from here. The day after we buried her social security called to say she would be getting disability which would have solved her tax problems. Instead the county sued her and tried to take the house. I guess they thought it was going to be a win win for them but my aunts son and myself showed up early to the herring. The never even called my aunts name and when they said court was over my cousin went to inquire what was happening and after a heated discussion with someone not sure who he said that they referred him to a property tax loan company. A couple of days later he informed me that he spoke with loan company and they said it would be possible to put loan in my name if all the heirs agreed which they did. It ended up with me owing a 20,000.00 loan with an 18 interest rate which left me paying almost 400 per month. That was in 2014 i paid the house taxes in 2015. Then my sister went to jail and i was left with her two young children. I have not paid them since. And now i am being sued for taxes. I recently applied for disability myself due to an eye condition which has seriously diminished my sight. I looked at the tax role on my property and for the years that my aunt was sued for the amount that i had to get loan for they have my aunts house valued at 73,000 dollars all the years prior it was 49,000. I went up there and requested they appraise my home again after it was transferred to me which they did and the value is back down to 49,000. I also inquired about homestead exemption and they said that was taken care of I had no reason to doubt them because in 2014 when i paid them the exemption was on there. But the years i have not paid its not on there. I feel like they have totally ripped me off is there anything i can do to get these things corrected or is it too late.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
texas
Hello I have a situation that i need advice. I will try to keep this as short as possible without leaving anything out. Its about property taxes. When my aunt died she had past due property taxes on the home i was renting from here. The day after we buried her social security called to say she would be getting disability which would have solved her tax problems. Instead the county sued her and tried to take the house. I guess they thought it was going to be a win win for them but my aunts son and myself showed up early to the herring. The never even called my aunts name and when they said court was over my cousin went to inquire what was happening and after a heated discussion with someone not sure who he said that they referred him to a property tax loan company. A couple of days later he informed me that he spoke with loan company and they said it would be possible to put loan in my name if all the heirs agreed which they did. It ended up with me owing a 20,000.00 loan with an 18 interest rate which left me paying almost 400 per month. That was in 2014 i paid the house taxes in 2015. Then my sister went to jail and i was left with her two young children. I have not paid them since. And now i am being sued for taxes. I recently applied for disability myself due to an eye condition which has seriously diminished my sight. I looked at the tax role on my property and for the years that my aunt was sued for the amount that i had to get loan for they have my aunts house valued at 73,000 dollars all the years prior it was 49,000. I went up there and requested they appraise my home again after it was transferred to me which they did and the value is back down to 49,000. I also inquired about homestead exemption and they said that was taken care of I had no reason to doubt them because in 2014 when i paid them the exemption was on there. But the years i have not paid its not on there. I feel like they have totally ripped me off is there anything i can do to get these things corrected or is it too late.

Your post is a bit unclear, but I'm going to take a stab at what happened:

Your Aunt had past-due property taxes, so her house was sold at public auction in 2014

It was purchased by someone who then offered to sell the house to you for $20,000 at 18% interest .

You paid the 2015 property taxes.

This is where you post gets confusing: when you say "I have not paid them since" are you talking about the $20K loan, or the 2016-2017 property taxes? And who do you feel has ripped you off?

leecohn254

Im
Your post is a bit unclear, but I'm going to take a stab at what happened:

Your Aunt had past-due property taxes, so her house was sold at public auction in 2014

It was purchased by someone who then offered to sell the house to you for $20,000 at 18% interest .

You paid the 2015 property taxes.

This is where you post gets confusing: when you say "I have not paid them since" are you talking about the $20K loan, or the 2016-2017 property taxes? And who do you feel has ripped you off?

leecohn254

I’m sorry I guess my post was unclear my aunt owed propert tax when she passed her heirs transferred the house to me and I got a property tax loan from hunter Kelsey property tax loan company. They also helped with the transfer of the property from the heirs to myself. So I have a property tax loan with Hunter Kelsey property tax loan services for $20,000 that has an 18% interest rate. I know that they are ripping me off but they are doing it legally and until the government gets around to regulating them I have no choice except to pay them or pay the loan off. The being ripped off that I was referring to was the fact that for the years my aunt owed taxes the county had the house valued at $73,000 where it was $49,000 before that and again now.

justalayman

Unless your aunt contested the assessed value st the time it was an issue, there is nothing to do about it now. You wouldn’t have standing to contest it even if it was possible at this date since you had no ownership interest at the time.

leecohn254

That doesn’t surprise me considering. What about the here being approved for social security disability 2 days after we buried her wouldn’t that have also been something that would have lowered her due taxes considerably?

LdiJ

That doesn’t surprise me considering. What about the here being approved for social security disability 2 days after we buried her wouldn’t that have also been something that would have lowered her due taxes considerably?
Again, anything about your aunt that might have lowered the taxes is too late now.

justalayman

i knkw of no reason it would have lowered the taxes. I’ve never heard of property taxes being reduced due to the owner being disabled. I suppose it’s possible but I’ve never heard of it.

Regardless it would not benefit you now.

justalayman

Interesting. Seems a bit improper to me but it is what it is.

Since this property was not the aunts homestead it doesn’t appear any discount would apply.

FlyingRon

If I don't get the discount, sonny, nobody gets the discount. I'm older than everybody on the planet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">