• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T33

My wife and I are divorcing and she has moved back to Florida from Illinois. She left about 3 months ago and left a couch financed in her name. How long do I have to keep it before I can sell it myself or simply give it away from out of my apartment? She is on the lease still I havent removed her yet. Thank you.

HRZ

ABsent a written release from STBX I'd not mess with couch ...and I'd not mess with it absent reliable written asurance the finance firm does not have a lien on the merchandise

BTW it's not up to you to unilateraly remove her from lease and odds are she is jointly and separately liable on the lease for full,payment .

Last edited:

adjusterjack

I suggest you put something in your divorce decree that says she gets the couch and if she doesn't remove it by a certain deadline date, you get to dispose of it as you see fit without owing her a nickel for it.

Without that you could end up with the couch sitting there for months.

LdiJ

I suggest you put something in your divorce decree that says she gets the couch and if she doesn't remove it by a certain deadline date, you get to dispose of it as you see fit without owing her a nickel for it.

Without that you could end up with the couch sitting there for months.
Again, if its financed the finance company may have a lien on it. So, it would not be safe to dispose of it how he sees fit unless he gives the finance company the opportunity to retrieve it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">