• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proposed Adult Ward Being Taken from Country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I think SuperTed did answer. He has been there for 30 years while the brother hasn't and at least according to him he is trying to abide by his mother's wishes.
Well, yes and no. To provide context to my question, I, too, am a caregiver. My only interest in their finances is that they have enough to live comfortably. So I am always somewhat curious when money comes into question.

PayrollHRGuy

In the original post, Ted mentioned the brother does not have full-time employment and shares a one-room condo with his wife and two small children.

Assuming that is true the mother likely would be much more comfortable here and considering the brother's actions so far I'd think that is where the money interest is.

LdiJ

In the original post, Ted mentioned the brother does not have full-time employment and shares a one-room condo with his wife and two small children.

Assuming that is true the mother likely would be much more comfortable here and considering the brother's actions so far I'd think that is where the money interest is.
I agree.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Additionally, In December, 2018, my brother "helped" my mother change all of her legal documents. He is now her personal representative, her PoA for health care and finance, and receives her house via ToD. Previously, he appeared on none of those documents. About three weeks ago, my brother showed up and began "helping" my mother change all of her financial accounts, presumably to include him. He also contacted the Passport Renewal Agency. He admitted last week that his plan is to take her (and presumably her money) back to England with him.

It rather appears to me that the brother is going for a money/asset grab, and nothing about Mom's well being.

SuperTed

Additionally, In December, 2018, my brother "helped" my mother change all of her legal documents. He is now her personal representative, her PoA for health care and finance, and receives her house via ToD. Previously, he appeared on none of those documents. About three weeks ago, my brother showed up and began "helping" my mother change all of her financial accounts, presumably to include him. He also contacted the Passport Renewal Agency. He admitted last week that his plan is to take her (and presumably her money) back to England with him.

It rather appears to me that the brother is going for a money/asset grab, and nothing about Mom's well being.
The “money grab” scenario is precisely what we fear. As far as Mom’s money goes, I want her to have every penny of it available so she can get the best care possible. The brother has no caregiving skills whatsoever (his wife does not trust him to watch their two children because he doesn’t pay attention to what they’re doing and they get hurt frequently), and neither of them are employed. At best, this situation smells terrible.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I agree - the only reason I made my comment is that the OP's response seemed to dance around the question.

PayrollHRGuy

The “money grab” scenario is precisely what we fear. As far as Mom’s money goes, I want her to have every penny of it available so she can get the best care possible. The brother has no caregiving skills whatsoever (his wife does not trust him to watch their two children because he doesn’t pay attention to what they’re doing and they get hurt frequently), and neither of them are employed. At best, this situation smells terrible.
I agree but our skepticism comes out some times.

Have you called your lawyer's partner this morning?

SuperTed

I agree but our skepticism comes out some times.

Have you called your lawyer's partner this morning?
The answer I was given is that Mom has not been declared incompetent, so she has the right to make whatever decisions she wants. It’s maddening, because these are not decisions she would have made before the dementia.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The answer I was given is that Mom has not been declared incompetent, so she has the right to make whatever decisions she wants. It’s maddening, because these are not decisions she would have made before the dementia.
So what did your lawyer's partner(s) have to offer?

SuperTed

I'm bothered by that. There should be no reason that an emergency order should not be requested.
Agreed. It's been a source of great frustration throughout the entire process, as the "other side" operates with no regard to what is normal or in Mom's best interest. Our greatest concern is that something drastic will happen (or has already happened...), and it will take a great deal of effort to undo if it can be undone at all. Our attorney is quite confidant that everything will work out fine, and she has a ton of experience with guardianship. Our hope is that she is right and that we are lighting our hair on fire for something that will turn out to be nothing but noise in the end. The problem that gnaws at me is her being wrong has a much higher price tag than us being wrong.

PayrollHRGuy

Agreed. It's been a source of great frustration throughout the entire process, as the "other side" operates with no regard to what is normal or in Mom's best interest. Our greatest concern is that something drastic will happen (or has already happened...), and it will take a great deal of effort to undo if it can be undone at all. Our attorney is quite confidant that everything will work out fine, and she has a ton of experience with guardianship. Our hope is that she is right and that we are lighting our hair on fire for something that will turn out to be nothing but noise in the end. The problem that gnaws at me is her being wrong has a much higher price tag than us being wrong.
Have you told YOUR attorney all the things you mentioned your brother doing? I thought YOUR attorney was on vacation.

PAPP

I really hope you can stop your brother's inconsiderate move. I'm wondering if your mother has a dual citizenship the US and the UK or a EU citizenship. Otherwise, I think it's going to take time for your brother to take your mother to the UK permanently. I don't know about the UK visas well, but I'm assuming it is similar to the US ones. Your brother needs to show his financial stability to the UK government he can support her fully. I don't know how he can prove it in unemployed status. If your brother takes her without getting a visa for her, that means she will be a tourist. I don't know if it's actually possible that a tourist, no visa holders can change their status to the permanent residents while staying in the UK. Even if possible, I don't think it's easy.

I really hope it will settle the best way for your mother. I wish all the best.

SuperTed

Have you told YOUR attorney all the things you mentioned your brother doing? I thought YOUR attorney was on vacation.
Yes, I have shared all of this (and many more details) with my attorney. She is indeed on vacation until Wednesday (April 24), and we'll be meeting on Thursday (April 25). Then, the hearing is the Tuesday after that (April 30).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">