• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prorated rent after keys are turned in.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trinityproud

We broke our lease early with an okay from our apartment and moved out and turned keys in April 29th, our apartment told us we were responsible for the days until a new tenant could move in so they could clean and get is ready so we were charged prorated rent of 5 days. Should we of had to pay for those days since the keys were already in the possession of the apartment and that is the day they agreed on?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What US state?

Why are you arguing over 5 days when you were lucky to have been let out of the lease early?

Trinityproud

What US state?

Why are you arguing over 5 days when you were lucky to have been let out of the lease early?
Virginia. And our apartment was in need of our specific model so they were more then glad to be able to turn it over to someone else. I dont see how I am responsible for rent if the keys were turned over because they need to clean it. That should be the apartments time and money, not mine.

Zigner

It's five days. That is MORE than reasonable. You really are lucky, yet you don't seem to realize it. Yes, they are allowed to do this.

Trinityproud

It's five days. That is MORE than reasonable. You really are lucky, yet you don't seem to realize it. Yes, they are allowed to do this.
Five days for an apartment that we were unable to use because keys were turned over. If they need 5 days to clean a model that should be on them. Not me. They need apartments and we took the offer so it wasnt as if they had nobody waiting. They have lists for months for new tenants. $200 is a decent amount of money

Zigner

Once again, five days is a very reasonable amount of time to prep an apartment for new tenants. Yes, this is on you because you broke the lease.

xylene

This should have been clarified in your agreement to move out, but I would let it go.

I also can't see how fighting this could cost you less than 200 in time and expense.

Make sure, in the future, that your move out agreement is clear on you owning no further charges from the second you hand them the keys and exactly what you'll be getting back (in dollars) from your security deposit.

adjusterjack

Five days for an apartment that we were unable to use because keys were turned over.
Yes, you owe for the 5 days. Had you kept the keys you would have remained in possession (in spite of not being there) and would have been charged for the days in possession PLUS the days from surrender of the keys to re-rent.

If they need 5 days to clean a model that should be on them. Not me.
Wrong. They only needed to clean it up because you broke your lease and moved out.

Bottom line, the 5 day charge was legal. Your breach could have cost you a lot more money than just 5 days so be thankful that it wasn't more than that.

xylene

What the OP could have been held to is not material. The landlord did a mediocre job protecting his interests with an unclarity that could have easily been addressed in writing with no after the fact confusion for anyone. The landlord made a business decision to let OP out, it is not a favor or a matter of graciousness. I'm quite in agreement the op owes the money and even if there was most evidence on their side it would be a big waste of time since the amount is around 200.

xylene

Honestly this landlord left money on the table by not having a set lease breaking fee, eliminating this convoluted post move out prorate and netting more money...

Zigner

I agree - the landlord could have handled things better. If the landlord comes on here asking for advice about this matter, we'll have to make sure to tell him that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">