• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pros and cons of separation and divorc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melzz

What is the name of your state?Indiana

Both my Husband and myself are resident's of Indiana, although he currently works and resides in Virginia. He is military and pays no taxes to that state presently, but that may change on October 1. We are discussing divorce/legal separation issues. Is there any advantage to legally separating? We have two children, toddlers. We are on the fence about divorce, both of us seem to have a hard time committing to the finality of it. Please help!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What are the odds of the two of you getting back together? If there's no intention of even working on a reconciliation, a separation is a waste of time and money.

melzz

odds

I can't predict what will happen, I'd have to say that right now there are zero odds of that. Just exploring things, and the financial aspect of it all is important. Getting a divorce already sucks, and then having to deal with the financial burden of paying for one, sucks more. I'm trying to make it a little easier on myself, I have been alone with my two boys now since 1 June and raising two toddler boys under age 4 is not an easy task. If being legally separated will save me some money and keep me some benefits, like medical insurance for myself, I need to do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">