• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prosecutor refuses to release discovery!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EmilyC

I was charged with a crime that I did not commit. I requested discovery pursuant to State Court Rules 4.7, which require the prosecutor to release to defendant all discoverable documents. I did not have an attorney at the time. They refused to release the documents. I then obtained a "public defender". I asked again to get copies of discovery, and prosecutors office now says that would be a violation of "Rules of Professional Conduct". I then asked my "public defender" (who is former prosecutor & buddy buddy in the system) to examine the discovery documents, and the public defender said court rule does not allow them to release documents to me. So I can't get the documents if I don't have an attorney, and I can't get them if I do have an attorney. SO I'm charged with a crime and I can't even examine the evidence or get copies of discoverable documents. What do I do? Don't I have a legal right to these? My public defender thinks this is no big deal - but I do. Where do go to make the prosecuting attorney's office comply with the law?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">