• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prosecutorial Discretion and firearm purchase?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ave1986

Fl
Good day, I'm sorry maybe the wrong thread - please, transfer it to the right one, if so.
I had an asylum case and got a P.D. decision couple years ago. Not long time ago I moved with my family outside of city limits. A lot of trees and a lot of wild animals. Wanted to purchase a firearm for the home defense. And was declined. FDLE explained that our case not shown in immigration system and it's still removing proceedings. Tried to ask for an update - and finally, got the answer that immigration system do not update such decisions.
I have a question - can I buy a firearm with such decision? Where on USCIS website I can find explanatiob of such decision? Our judge explained that we are legal and can live and work but just without any benefits. So, maybe is there are any way we can be allowed to own a firearm? Thanks for any advice

xylene

Not sure what is confusing about this situation. OP is an asylee who's case was not adjudicated by the immigration court but was granted status by prosecutorial discretion. It's really pretty common situation for low risk cases given the massively overburdened immigration court system.

OP is a legal asylee with non-immigrant status. How that affects state benefits is not really material to his firearm concern, but it is true, most nonimigrants can't recive many kinds of public assistance. About 1 second of internet research on the ATF shows my exact answer.

FlyingRon

I agree with MS. PD just means at the instant they are declining to proceed to prosecute or deport you. It doesn't convey legal presence nor does it mean that they can't tomorrow reopen the proceedings against you.

ave1986

Thank you so much for the explanation. That's what I needed. Each USCIS representative have different answer for this question so I very needed to have the good explanation. Thank you all

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">