• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting expensive non-professional equipment during international travel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cfreilich

I am an avid amature photographer, and I'm about to go to Australia (from New Jersey) for two weeks. The camera equipment that I want to bring is worth perhaps $10,000 (much higher replacement cost).

Is there any way to insure this equipment for this trip?

I do not have renter's insurance, but I'm hoping that perhaps this can do the trick.

Thanks for any help.

-- Chris Freilich

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Couldn't have said it better myself:
Theft. As we mentioned before, you're probably going to bring your best camera...and your gear can be an attractive target for thieves. So, be prepared. Here are some tips to help you protect your precious investment:

First, consider insuring your camera equipment before you leave the country. Insurance is usually not expensive, and it is a good investment with expensive gear. Your Homeowner's Policy may cover some of your equipment, but you will probably need a "floater" policy to cover it all. Call your insurance broker or agent to find out what's available and how much (or little) it costs.

Second, try to carry your most expensive camera equipment with you as hand luggage on the plane. If you're taking just a camera or two, your camera bag should handle it all, and be small enough to fit in the cabin racks or under the seat. While you can't be guaranteed it won't be stolen from under your very nose, it's a lot less likely to be stolen in the cabin.

Third, if you are lugging lots of camera equipment and have to check some or all of it in, our advice is that you don't call attention to its contents. In particular, we believe that a fancy aluminum case has the words "Steal Me!" written all over it. If possible, pack your cameras in ordinary looking suitcases. If you are using soft-sided luggage, be sure to protect your equipment from jolts by cushioning it with soft clothing all around - assuming you are not using a cutout foam liner like that used by many pros.http://www.nyip.com/sub_idx_pgs/referidx/topic_how_to_travel.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">