• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting my interests

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cateyes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I have been dating a married, but separated man for 18 years.
We have been living together for about 13 years. His wife also has a boyfriend who lives with her in her house. Years ago he bought me the house we are living in and the house is in my name. What can I do to protect this house and to make sure it remains mine when and if the day comes that he would die? Also, if he has a life insurance polikcy as me being the beneficiary can she contest this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I have been dating a married, but separated man for 18 years.
We have been living together for about 13 years. His wife also has a boyfriend who lives with her in her house. Years ago he bought me the house we are living in and the house is in my name. What can I do to protect this house and to make sure it remains mine when and if the day comes that he would die? Also, if he has a life insurance polikcy as me being the beneficiary can she contest this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I would suggest that you and the bf seek the advice of a local attorney. The house may be considered marital assets.

LdiJ

I would suggest that you and the bf seek the advice of a local attorney. The house may be considered marital assets.
If the house is in her name, and her name only (which her post seemed to imply) then its her property. The wife would have no claim to it.

If she is the beneficiary on a life insurance policy the wife would have no claim to that either.

Just Blue

If the house is in her name, and her name only (which her post seemed to imply) then its her property. The wife would have no claim to it.

If she is the beneficiary on a life insurance policy the wife would have no claim to that either.
My issue is if "marital funds" were used to purchase the home.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

However if marital funds were used to purchase the home the issue becomes one of dissipation of marital assets.

LdiJ

However if marital funds were used to purchase the home the issue becomes one of dissipation of marital assets.
Yes, but that's not her problem, its his problem. That doesn't change the fact that the house is her property and the insurance hers if she is the beneficiary.

That's also assuming that they divorce and divide property. That doesn't seem to be the concern here, the concern seems to be what happens if/when he passes away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">