• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting the Family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spenlila

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?NC
My grandfather has become recently very ill and not able to care for himself. My grandmother died 3 yrs ago. There are 6 children in that family and they named the only daughter in charge of bills etc. My question is she states that he doesn't have any money and therefore she is going to have to do the necessary paperwork filed so the creditors won't take everything. I think she is just trying to be sneaky so she can have her name and hold on to everything and the rest of the siblings will be left out. She knows that he is not doing well. He has a rental house and some things that he could sell. Anyway, he has Medicare and I know that they cover a percentage of bills. When we ask for information like receipts/bills she gets all angry and aggitated. What are our rights in NC?

Dandy Don

Try to find out exactly what she is talking about--exactly what type of paperwork is she referring to and exactly what is it she is doing to protect from creditors? And ask if she has a power of attorney.

And shouldn't you be talking to grandfather to find out what information he can provide? Asking him if he thinks its necessary for him to get a will or not?

S

spenlila

protecting the family:response NC

Yes, my aunt has Power of Attorney and he does have a will. My grandfather doesn't have sound mind to ask what he really wants at the present nor do I think he ever will. We just question how she is handling her powers and the decisions she is making because I'm not sure it is in his best interest. He is unable to feed or hardly care for himself. He is so weak! Instead of her finding extended care for him with specialty help she has decided that every child will take turns caring for him in his home. She claims he doesn't have any money. He has Medicare and property that could be sold. Why not use this? Makes me think something is up. You can't hardly talk to her about anything or she blows up in your face about it? Any suggestions?!!

BelizeBreeze

Any suggestions?!!
If you are that concerned about her dealings with gramps, go see an attorney to petition the court to appoint a guardian for gramps. The power of attorney can also be quashed but that's a secondary issue.

But, unless you have specific information of a crime or questionable dealings, your chances of having the POA overturned are next to nil.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">