• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protection order modification and child visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Would we be correct in assuming that this is the child that he hasn't been convicted/caught abusing?

(Mostly just curious. But considering how few people do time for child abuse, what they had evidence of must have been non trivial.)

And by "charge you", OG means the fees. ;) (At least, I'm pretty sure that's what she means. :) )
Yes that is what I mean. The court will charge her those fees to domesticate.

dmead012

Would we be correct in assuming that this is the child that he hasn't been convicted/caught abusing?

(Mostly just curious. But considering how few people do time for child abuse, what they had evidence of must have been non trivial.)

And by "charge you", OG means the fees. ;) (At least, I'm pretty sure that's what she means. :) )
Yes, you are correct. It is the child he was not convicted of assaulting.

Since this ultimately boils down to visitation, is that the order I should seek to domesticate and then add the other orders as exhibits, or should I do all orders individually?

All the information that everyone has shared is very helpful. I'm waiting on a return call from a local lawyer that was recommended to me, however, feel free to share referrals if you are able. My ex is very litigious and intimidating. I self-represented in our civil proceedings with the exception of my request to move the children back to our home state of Ohio and the final proceedings of the Civil Protection Order, but this recent activity is well outside of my understanding and too important to take a chance on messing it up.

Just Blue

Since this ultimately boils down to visitation, is that the order I should seek to domesticate and then add the other orders as exhibits, or should I do all orders individually?

All the information that everyone has shared is very helpful. I'm waiting on a return call from a local lawyer that was recommended to me, however, feel free to share referrals if you are able. My ex is very litigious and intimidating. I self-represented in our civil proceedings with the exception of my request to move the children back to our home state of Ohio and the final proceedings of the Civil Protection Order, but this recent activity is well outside of my understanding and too important to take a chance on messing it up.
It violates the TOS of this site to give referrals. May I ask what he was convicted of (code)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

You would only have to pay ONE filing fee per child. Or should... Unless Trumbull is being extremely greedy and inappropriate.

dmead012

It violates the TOS of this site to give referrals. May I ask what he was convicted of (code)?
I understand.
He was convicted of two M1's (reckless/knowing assault causing injury. He was charged, but not convicted of two F4's (felonious assault by way of strangulation), and obstruction of a peace officer. There was a hung jury on a child abuse charge. He gave one daughter a concussion, both daughters bruises, and one of my daughters passed out when he strangled her.

Just Blue

I understand.
He was convicted of two M1's (reckless/knowing assault causing injury. He was charged, but not convicted of two F4's (felonious assault by way of strangulation), and obstruction of a peace officer. There was a hung jury on a child abuse charge. He gave one daughter a concussion, both daughters bruises, and one of my daughters passed out when he strangled her.
OMG! I hope the SOB rots in the deepest part of Hell. How are the children doing now? Are they okay??

LdiJ

I understand.
He was convicted of two M1's (reckless/knowing assault causing injury. He was charged, but not convicted of two F4's (felonious assault by way of strangulation), and obstruction of a peace officer. There was a hung jury on a child abuse charge. He gave one daughter a concussion, both daughters bruises, and one of my daughters passed out when he strangled her.wil
It is incredibly important that you handle this right. While you will likely need an attorney in Ohio its also going to be important to convince the courts in Colorado to relinquish jurisdiction. You will need an attorney in Colorado for that.

dmead012

It is incredibly important that you handle this right. While you will likely need an attorney in Ohio its also going to be important to convince the courts in Colorado to relinquish jurisdiction. You will need an attorney in Colorado for that.
I was thinking the same thing. Initially considered handling CO on my own with guidance from an attorney here in Ohio, but I don't want to take any chances at this point. The deciding judge does not like dealing with pro se parties. He has made that clear time and time again.

LdiJ

I was thinking the same thing. Initially considered handling CO on my own with guidance from an attorney here in Ohio, but I don't want to take any chances at this point. The deciding judge does not like dealing with pro se parties. He has made that clear time and time again.
Then don't take the risk that the current CO judge will make the decision to keep the case in CO. Get a CO lawyer to handle that part of the case. You might not even need an OH attorney at that point because your ex may give up and not pursue in OH.

dmead012

Then don't take the risk that the current CO judge will make the decision to keep the case in CO. Get a CO lawyer to handle that part of the case. You might not even need an OH attorney at that point because your ex may give up and not pursue in OH.
Thank you. I just received 3 referrals for CO attorneys and will pursue those today.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">