• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protective Acquired United Investors Life Dropped Benefactors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

king97tut

My mom purchased a 10,000 Protective Life Policy in 1994 had me listed as the only beneficiary. During the 1998 year she added my brother to the policy and Protective confirmed it by sending an updated policy showing both of us on the policy. Move ahead to 2011 and Protective is acquired by United Investor Life. They send my mom the same policy but with different letter head, and tell her to look over it and confirm the beneficiary's on the policy. They policy states for her to review the policy and to confirm the beneficiary's in very small print, all she does is file it and continues to make the payment until her death in January 2017. Post death I get the policy that shows the beneficiary's from 1998 and submit it to their clams dept. Two weeks later I get a check for the whole amount 10,000. I call their claims and they had only me as the beneficiary. I faxed them the policy showing both beneficiary's. They say my mom must of dropped my brother at some point from 1998 until her death. I ask when and to please prove it for my peace of mind. They said they would research it and get back to me. My brother and I have been estranged for many years and if she did drop him I will not pay him a dime. As you know my brother is furious since he has the same documentation that I have. He wants to sue them for breech of contract. If the insurance company made a mistake when they acquired Protective am I legally liable to pay the 5 grand back to them for their error? Or would they just pay him off to avoid the legal fees they would incur? To date the insurance company keeps telling me its still pending with their investigation going on 6 weeks now.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

It's beneficiary not benefactor.

All you can do is wait for a final decision from the life insurance company. Don't spend the money.

Did you ever find the policy from 2011?

If not, and the insurance company washes their hands of it, it certainly isn't worth the thousands you would pay a lawyer.

Best thing you can do at some point is just write your brother a check for $5000 and be done with.

You might be estranged from your brother but it's hard to believe that your mother would be.

Dandy Don

You didn't mention whether your mother did in fact confirm who the beneficiaries were in 2011 or did she do nothing and as you said, "file it".

Please mention what state the death occurred in.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If this was truly a "mistake" and your brother should never have been removed, then send him his $5,000. It's just business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">