• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proving verbal abuse with recording in 2 party consent state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needalotofhlep6

What is the name of your state? Maryland
Maryland requires all parties to consent. My spouse is extremely verbally abusive but never physically abusive. I have been called fat, cheater, golddigger, etc. My spouse stops short of physical abuse and only verbalizes the abuse. My spouse said no one will believe me if I bring it up because it's illegal to record. Everytime I try to talk the problem out and my spouse is confronted, my spouse furiously denies it. My legal advisor from my work told me that I have write notes or on a google doc about everything that happens. He also told me that I can record most likely without getting in trouble because he has to prove damages from my recording from something to happen to me. My other ideas include having my friends on a google hangout with me and listening to his conversations and jotting down notes for additional proof. Another idea is to say I have a recording device on me and I tell my spouse that my spouse automatically consents to recording by talking to me. That way, I can scare my souse into never saying anything disrespectful to me.

LdiJ

Maryland requires all parties to consent. My spouse is extremely verbally abusive but never physically abusive. I have been called fat, cheater, golddigger, etc. My spouse stops short of physical abuse and only verbalizes the abuse. My spouse said no one will believe me if I bring it up because it's illegal to record. Everytime I try to talk the problem out and my spouse is confronted, my spouse furiously denies it. My legal advisor from my work told me that I have write notes or on a google doc about everything that happens. He also told me that I can record most likely without getting in trouble because he has to prove damages from my recording from something to happen to me. My other ideas include having my friends on a google hangout with me and listening to his conversations and jotting down notes for additional proof. Another idea is to say I have a recording device on me and I tell my spouse that my spouse automatically consents to recording by talking to me. That way, I can scare my souse into never saying anything disrespectful to me.
It is not possible to scare an abuser into being respectful. It doesn't matter if the abuser is physically or verbally abusive you cannot scare them into being respectful. At most, you might get a few months of good behavior out of a scare, but that won't change years of behavior.

Its time to get a divorce.

Just Blue

Honestly...Just file for Divorce.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just because your spouse SAYS no one will believe you without recordings doesn't mean that no one will believe you without recordings. Getting their victim to believe that no one will believe them is one of the ways abusers control their victims.

needalotofhlep6

Just because your spouse SAYS no one will believe you without recordings doesn't mean that no one will believe you without recordings. Getting their victim to believe that no one will believe them is one of the ways abusers control their victims.
How could they rule on a he said she said without solid evidence?

justalayman

My legal advisor from my work told me that I have write notes or on a google doc about everything that happens. He also told me that I can record most likely without getting in trouble because he has to prove damages from my recording from something to happen to me. .
Well, your legal advisor might want to brush up on this topic before tossing you to the wolves.

https://www.rcfp.org/rcfp/orders/docs/CANWETAPE.pdf

Disclosing the contents of intercepted communications with reason to know they were obtained unlawfully is a crime as well.
Violations of the law are felonies punishable by imprisonment for not more than five years and a fine of not more than $10,000. Civil liability for violations can include the greater of actual damages, $100 a day for each day of violation or $1,000, along with punitive damages, attorney fees and litigation costs. To recover civil damages, however, a plaintiff must prove that the defendant knew it was illegal to tape the communication without consent from all participants. md. Code ann., CTs. & Jud. proC. § 10-410.

It would appear him proving, or even having damages is not a requirement to get your butt tossed in jail

Nor does it appear to be a requirement for him to show actual damages as the law allows for statutory damages in lieu of actual damages, as well as punitive damages, attieney’s fees, and court costs.

needalotofhlep6

Alternative plan is to get my friends on skype and let them listen on to the abuse and document it which equals more evidence. Of course if I do this, I have to let them eavesdrop without letting my spouse know they're listening in.

Another plan is to trick my spouse into agreeing. I could say become paranoid about mice sounds in my room and say I need to record my room 24/7 for the mice(which don't exist). When my spouse agrees and forgets about agreeing, then when abusive words are shouted, I can record. If it comes to court, I can say my spouse agreed to recording a while ago but forgot which is quite frankly my spouse' fault.

LdiJ

Alternative plan is to get my friends on skype and let them listen on to the abuse and document it which equals more evidence. Of course if I do this, I have to let them eavesdrop without letting my spouse know they're listening in.

Another plan is to trick my spouse into agreeing. I could say become paranoid about mice sounds in my room and say I need to record my room 24/7 for the mice(which don't exist). When my spouse agrees and forgets about agreeing, then when abusive words are shouted, I can record. If it comes to court, I can say my spouse agreed to recording a while ago but forgot which is quite frankly my spouse' fault.
Again, you do not need to prove that he is abusive to get a divorce. Maryland is a no fault state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">