• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PSR BEFORE a plea or trial?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Is it legal for a pre sentence report to be filed BEFORE a plea or trial has occurred?
The jurisdiction matters — federal or state — and if state, which state. The procedures for any pre sentencing reports vary from one jurisdiction to another. That said, I can't see what harm would occur to the defendant to having it done before a plea or a trial, but I could certainly see an argument that it is a potential waste of resources.

aldaron

A PSI can ask questions that can give the DA a lot of knowledge that they were unaware of and use it against you if answered truthfully, such as enhancements, drug use, DUI driving, knowledge of past crimes committed etc.. My experience a PSI report is only done after a guilty plea or a trial, you're already convicted.

quincy

A PSI can ask questions that can give the DA a lot of knowledge that they were unaware of and use it against you if answered truthfully, such as enhancements, drug use, DUI driving, knowledge of past crimes committed etc.. My experience a PSI report is only done after a guilty plea or a trial, you're already convicted.
The question asked is about presentence reports before a plea or trial. What exactly is your “experience,” aldaron?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">