• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PTO balance paid @ termination??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hawknest

I resigned from my company, giving the typical two weeks notice. Due to financial problems, I was laid off one week into the notice I had given. I was offered no severance pay. I was OK with this as I had another job lined up and just started a week early. I was expecting, however, to receive a check with my Paid Time Off of approx. 33 hours ($1,000). My company has told me that I will not be receiving this money, but I will get a form in the mail telling me what to do. I am thinking due to the financial difficulties of the company I may never get this money. I have a laptop that the company provided. Should I keep this until I receive the PTO check or would that be considered theft of property? Should I retain the services of a lawyer, or would that end up eating up any, all or more than the PTO I would be receiving? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

A

Attorney_Replogle

First of all I would advise you to contact the state department of labor since it is their job to assist former employees like you with wage disputes. I would also adivse you to obtain a copy of your employer's policy or handbook, as it usually describes what the company policy is regarding PTO payments upon termination or resignation.

Regarding the company's personal computer, I would definitely advise that you return it promptly to the employer. Make sure that you get a signed statement that you returned it on such-and-such a date. Don't think about holding it hostage until you get the PTO payment. They are separate things and such a self-help attempt will work against you.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">