• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PTO Conversion to LTD?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ben_Dover

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I recently had 120 hours of Paid Time Off accured at work. PTO is available to me as a benefit to use as I choose when I need time off of work and want to get paid for it. So I could use it for vacation, for sick time or to take one of my kids to the doctor etc.

I had planned to take three weeks off this Summer. I requested a two-week vacation at the beginning of the Summer and then one week off near Labor day. My management team approved both vacations as my PTO balance was sufficient to cover the time off.

Just before I took the two-week vacation last month, I noticed on my pay stub that my PTO balance was re-set from 120 hours to 80 hours! There was no explanation, just a reduction of my accrued PTO hours with no advance notice.

When I asked my supervisor about this he said that we just changed our benefits policy at the end of our fiscal year (last pay period). Effective immediately, the maximum PTO balance that anyone can carry is 80 hours. Anyone who had a balance greater than 80 hours would have the excess hours (in my case 40 hours) rolled into a Long Term Disability benefit. I can't use these LTD hours for vacation time or sick time, just for a prolonged absence from work as a result of a disabiling injury or illness.

So now I have booked and paid for my "Labor Day" vacation, however, I am going to have to take it without pay.

Does this seem fair to you?

Beth3

While some employers do limit the amount of vacation/PTO an employee can accrue, it certainly seems unfair to me for your employer to change their policy without advance notice.

Generally speaking, there is nothing illegal about this. I'll let cbg (a regular responder here) respond specifically when she happens by though. She's from Mass and they do have some unique employment laws.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm about 95% certain that is is legal in MA, but I'm going to have to do some checking. I'm having internet problems and it will be at least Tuesday before I have a definite answer. Sorry - please be patient.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">