• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PTO Differential Payout

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chipan

What is the name of your state? California

So recently my company decided to pay out PTO instead of carrying it over for PTO going into this year specifically. I just saw it on my paystub for the amount equal to my base rate. The problem is I also have a $1 differential pay because I work second shift. According to the policy I receive the differential pay for all hours worked and paid, and specifically lists holidays, PTO and floating holidays as examples. Given that I receive this differential when I use PTO, am I entitled to this differential pay when I’m paid out PTO?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is my understanding of the CA law on vacation payout that you are.

PayrollHRGuy

What is the name of your state? California

So recently my company decided to pay out PTO instead of carrying it over for PTO going into this year specifically. I just saw it on my paystub for the amount equal to my base rate. The problem is I also have a $1 differential pay because I work second shift. According to the policy I receive the differential pay for all hours worked and paid, and specifically lists holidays, PTO and floating holidays as examples. Given that I receive this differential when I use PTO, am I entitled to this differential pay when I’m paid out PTO?
You are entitled to the higher rate. Here's a link from the CA DIR which is an opinion letter on the subject. Print it out and give it to your payroll department.

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/opinions/2003-01-21.pdf

quincy

Labor Code section 227.3:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=LAB&sectionNum=227.3

California Court of Appeal, April 2020:
https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/california-court-of-appeal-issues-first-50262/

On California Supreme Court, Ferra v. Loews Hollywood Hotel, LLC:
https://www.natlawreview.com/article/california-supreme-court-s-decision-premium-payments-meal-rest-and-recovery-break

These links are to point out that not all is as it was in 2003, the date of the Opinion letter linked to by PayrollHRGuy. California has enacted a slew of new laws in 2021 and 2022 that affect employees and employers, including how employees are paid.

Last edited:

Chipan

These links are to point out that not all is as it was in 2003, the date of the Opinion letter linked to by PayrollHRGuy. California has enacted a slew of new laws in 2021 and 2022 that affect employees and employers, including how employees are paid.
I read the articles, but I fail to see anything that would contradict the letter from 2003. Is there something I missed that would void my entitlement to differential pay upon payout of my PTO?

quincy

I read the articles, but I fail to see anything that would contradict the letter from 2003. Is there something I missed that would void my entitlement to differential pay upon payout of my PTO?
Sorry. I was not necessarily disputing what you were told by cbg.

I was simply (or maybe not so simply :)) trying to point out that what was true in 2003 may no longer be applicable in 2022. A lot has changed.

You, in other words, would be smart to consult with an employment law attorney in California to have your specific employment, employment contract, and specific facts regarding pay personally reviewed before approaching your employer.

Last edited:

quincy

How it is to be paid depends on the language of the employment contract. Plus, we are looking back on a year where Covid-19 changed PTO.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Not really. The language of the contract is still important. Read the links provided above.
As long as the contract complies with the law. I should have written the expanded version of my last post instead of stopping where I did. I originally planned to type "California frowns about clauses in employment contracts that violate state law".

PayrollHRGuy

Not really. The language of the contract is still important. Read the links provided above.
The contract other than some CBA can't override the law. And once again. California passed no law during COVID that reduced an employee's rights in this regard.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just for clarification, it was still the law that vacation and PTO payout had to be at the current rate, and I include shift differentials in that specifically, as of when I did the research at 7:20 this morning. I doubt if it has been changed since then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">