• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PTO for Salaried employees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kbst

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am a salaried employee and my company has recently changed the guidelines on how they pay out our Paid Time Off. Previously, if we took a day off they would allow us to make up time until the end of the pay period and charge any shortage to accrued PTV. Now they insist that if we are out of the office for the full day, we use a full 8 hours of PTV but if we come in for 30 minutes or an hour, they will allow us to make up time or charge the difference to the PTV. An example is:

Our pay period is from Friday thru Thursday. I took Friday off and worked 9 hours Mon-Thurs and wanted to charge the remaining 4 hours to PTV. I was told I have to use the full 8 hours for that day.

Is this legal?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is completely legal.

I'm not sure I agree with their reasoning, but there's no law prohibiting them from installing such a policy.

BTW, no Federal law and no law in any state but California (and only sometimes there) mandates to the employer how they utilize their PTO or vacation policy. So when it comes to vacation and PTO policies, the question, is it legal, will almost always be, yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">