• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PTO payout upon resignation in Iowa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rdhtmustng

I am resigning from my current position, where I have nearly four weeks of Paid Time Off shown as available on my pay stubs. My HR person tells me that I will only be paid for "accrued" time, which in her calculations is only 1/4 of that, because she says it accrues by the calendar quarter (even though the full amount is awarded on January 1).

This seems like they are pulling a fast one on me but I can't find anything on the web even close to stating a law from a reputable source. I am in Iowa.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What she is telling you is almost certainly true. Few if any companies grant you all of your vacation time in a block at the beginning of the year. The paycheck shows what your allotment for the year is, not what you own as of this minute. The payroll system is limited in what it can show.

No law in any state, even the most employee friendly, requires an employer to pay out anything beyond what has been accrued at the time of termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">