• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PTO to Go?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spinningtrax

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

A couple of months ago my employer reduced the maximum balance of earned PTO hours that someone can carry. I was 30 hours over the new maximum accrual limit.

These 30 hours were taken out of my Earned PTO and placed into my "Extended Leave" balance.

I am thinking of leaving my current employer and was wondering if they would be obligated to pay me for these hours that are now part of my Extended Leave balance.

Thanks for any advice!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Under MA law, vacation time (and that includes PTO unless a portion of it is specifically designated as vacation only, which rather defeats the purpose) once earned, cannot be lost under any circumstances. So while there is nothing illegal about placing it in an extended leave balance, it would have to be paid to you at termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">