• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ptsd?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lightarms

What is the name of your state? Ft Stewart, Ga

So when I came back from Iraq I was diagnosed with PTSD, Adjustment Disorder, Antisocial Disorder and I was told to wait a few months first too see if it gets better over time. If it didn't then I would be given therapy and anti depressants. Well it's been getting worse everyday and now I'm at the point where I'm just having too many problems with my NCOs and now the law because of my problems. Constant nightmares from watching my platoon leader get killed by a suicide car bomber hitting her humvee 19Sep06, god rest her soul, and the injured gunner I patched up, my attitude, temper, helplessness, feeling like I'm about to die, feeling scared, no energy or feeling of doing things I used to love...etc the whole PTSD/depressiion symptons.

The therapist was talking about the possiblity of discharging me for PTSD. Which scares me a little. I've been doing a lot of research about this and read a lot of articles of soldiers in the Army such as Ft Carson not getting the care they need and not given the right discharges either. I read that soldiers discharged with PTSD should get a Honarble discharge or General under honarable conditions.

But I'm scared if I get discharged with PTSD even with a honable discharge I wont be able to get a law enforcement job on the civilian side. Will PTSD be on the paperwork? Or does it not matter at all as long as the discharge is honarble? If I can't get a law enforcement just when I get out because of this I rather stay in then for the year and 8 months I got left.

Just Blue

Given the psychological problems you are having, do you really think you could pass the psychological examinations you would have to take to get a job in Law Enforcement?

Lightarms

I really don't know. I'm not homicidal or suicidal. I'm not crazy. Just having some problems from an traumatic event that happened.

I say I'm 100% fit for any law enforcement job but don't know what they would say because of this PTSD. That's why if it turns out its gonna harm me getting a law enforcement job then I'm not gonna go see the Mental Health people on post.

acmb05

I really don't know. I'm not homicidal or suicidal. I'm not crazy. Just having some problems from an traumatic event that happened.

I say I'm 100% fit for any law enforcement job but don't know what they would say because of this PTSD. That's why if it turns out its gonna harm me getting a law enforcement job then I'm not gonna go see the Mental Health people on post.
How can you be 100% fit for a very stressful job in law enforcement but not fit enough to finish your enlistment? If you have been diagnosed with these problems already then it will be in your official record and it is unlikely you would qualify for a career in law enforcement.

Btw your discharge papers will say why you were discharged.

SHORTY LONG

What is the name of your state? Ft Stewart, Ga

So when I came back from Iraq I was diagnosed with PTSD, Adjustment Disorder, Antisocial Disorder and I was told to wait a few months first too see if it gets better over time. If it didn't then I would be given therapy and anti depressants. Well it's been getting worse everyday and now I'm at the point where I'm just having too many problems with my NCOs and now the law because of my problems. Constant nightmares from watching my platoon leader get killed by a suicide car bomber hitting her humvee 19Sep06, god rest her soul, and the injured gunner I patched up, my attitude, temper, helplessness, feeling like I'm about to die, feeling scared, no energy or feeling of doing things I used to love...etc the whole PTSD/depressiion symptons.

The therapist was talking about the possiblity of discharging me for PTSD. Which scares me a little. I've been doing a lot of research about this and read a lot of articles of soldiers in the Army such as Ft Carson not getting the care they need and not given the right discharges either. I read that soldiers discharged with PTSD should get a Honarble discharge or General under honarable conditions.

But I'm scared if I get discharged with PTSD even with a honable discharge I wont be able to get a law enforcement job on the civilian side. Will PTSD be on the paperwork? Or does it not matter at all as long as the discharge is honarble? If I can't get a law enforcement just when I get out because of this I rather stay in then for the year and 8 months I got left.
No disrespect, but aren't you beating this dead horse to death?

How can you be 100% fit for a very stressful job in law enforcement but not fit enough to finish your enlistment? If you have been diagnosed with these problems already then it will be in your official record and it is unlikely you would qualify for a career in law enforcement.

Btw your discharge papers will say why you were discharged.
Ok... Uh... First of all your discharge papers will not say why you were discharged. There are codes and such on your dd214 that are for military purposes only that reflect the type of discharge you received but it will not say specifically why you were discharged.

Have to agree here with acmb, a career in law enforcement will be just as physically and mentally demanding as a job in the military.

acmb05

Ok... Uh... First of all your discharge papers will not say why you were discharged. There are codes and such on your dd214 that are for military purposes only that reflect the type of discharge you received but it will not say specifically why you were discharged.

Have to agree here with acmb, a career in law enforcement will be just as physically and mentally demanding as a job in the military.
You are right the DD214 will not show it but his discharge records will.

Actually, the DD Form 214, at least versions issued after Nov 1988, include both a separation code (block 26) AND a brief narrative reason for separation (block 28).

OP - if you were diagnosed by a DOCTOR with PTSD, adjustment disorder and antisocial disorder--you would have received immediate treatment--at least for the PTSD. Many therapists do not believe adjustment disorder or antisocial personality disorder are treatable.

If you're seeing a therapist--that is TREATMENT. Your multiple posts are somewhat contradictory.

Actually, the DD Form 214, at least versions issued after Nov 1988, include both a separation code (block 26) AND a brief narrative reason for separation (block 28).

OP - if you were diagnosed by a DOCTOR with PTSD, adjustment disorder and antisocial disorder--you would have received immediate treatment--at least for the PTSD. Many therapists do not believe adjustment disorder or antisocial personality disorder are treatable.

If you're seeing a therapist--that is TREATMENT. Your multiple posts are somewhat contradictory.
Irish Lady is right that there will be a narrative reason on the bottom section of his UNDELETED copy of his DD214, BUT it is just a generic, abreviated explanation of the type of discharge he received, it will not get into the specifics at all.

The UNDELETED version of his DD Form 214 is what any law enforcement agency--local, state or federal--will request when is applies. In fact, that is the only version any federal agency will accept for either employment or benefits.

In addition to the SPD and narrative reason, there is also a block on that version for "Separation Authority". If an Army transition center prepares the DD Fm 214 (and I do believe OP is an Army soldier based on what he has posted), it will also give the specific paragraph of AR 635-200 that authorizes the separation. So, the narrative reason might only read "Separation for the Convenience of the Government", but this block will read AR 635-200, para 5-13. Believe me, when the narrative reason is other than "Completion of Term of Service", most law enforcement and other government agencies WILL do the extra research to determine the basis.

IMO, based on what OP has posted recently, he should not be in any law enforcement position. And, certainly, if he can't complete the next year or so he has on this enlistment w/o getting into more trouble or resolving his medical issues--he won't have much of a chance of doing so--TG!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">