• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public charge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lexxi2006

I am a green card holder who is currently unemployed and uninsured with some health issues which need immediate attention. A friend suggested I go get medicaid. Will this be an issue when I apply for citizenship?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

evcalyptos

I am a green card holder who is currently unemployed and uninsured with some health issues which need immediate attention. A friend suggested I go get medicaid. Will this be an issue when I apply for citizenship?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Medicaid is a state run program that is a little different in each state (it may be under a different name). Immigrants typically are not eligible for their first 5 years as a PR. If an agency does give you means-tested benefits, they may choose later to sue your sponsor for repayment.

You may be better off working out a payment plan with your doctor. They'll usually give you a discount if you're not using insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">