• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Defender will not speak to client.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Alaska

My younger brother has been arrested for a DUI in the state of Alaska. He has been calling his assigned Public Defender since the day he was arrested, the Public Defender's clerk insists that he is never in and tells my brother to call "Around 4" but because he is in custody he can't always call at a specific time. On the days he has managed to call "around 4" he is still told the PD isn't available. The clerk offers to have the PD call him back but, again, because he is in custody that isn't possible. The PD won't take calls from anyone in the family because my brother is 18 and hasn't given the PD verbal permission to talk to us. He can't give the PD verbal permission because he can't get in touch with him. The PD's clerk says a message of permission on voice mail or passed through the clerk is unacceptable.

It has been 10 days and brother has not so much as heard the voice of his PD, he has already been transferred to two different jails and today will be transferred to a third jail 115 miles away.

His DUI was his first offense and while no one in the family excuses him for it in any way and we are all very upset and disappointed in him, it occurred a few days before his father died of cancer, as he was in rapidly declining health. My brother did avoid law enforcement for some time after receiving the DUI (less than a year I believe) but eventually turned himself in. He has tried to explain to me that they won't accept anything other than 5000 dollars bail to release him, but he seems confident that if he can get in touch with his PD and get a "bail hearing" (I think that is what he called it) he can get them to let him put only 10% of that down. I don't really understand what is going on and I currently live in Texas and can't really help. I would appreciate any advice you can provide. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential