• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Intoxication question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

r581oa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
VA

I was picked up this past weekend for a DIP. It is my first offense. I don't know my BAC. I was locked out the apartment where I was staying by a friend's girlfriend who wasn't particularly happy with me. The police came by, saw me and arrested me because I had already taken off my sweater to get ready to sleep on their couch, so all I had when I was locked out was an undershirt and jeans on (conspicuous, huh?). I didn't have my driver's license or anything on me because it was left in the apartment. Anyway, I spent the night and following day in jail until I made bond. This could not have come at a worse time because I was just accepted to dental school this past week. Obviously, if I just pay the fine it will show up on a background check that the schools do prior to matriculation, which I don't want. Is there anything that I can do to prevent it from showing up? If I go to court, is it possible to get the charges dismissed or get some kind of probation in lieu of a conviction? I'm thinking about hiring a lawyer. Would this provide any kind of ultimate benefit?

The Occultist

If you're already considering hiring a lawyer, then please allow me to help push you towards that decision. A local attorney knows exactly what the courts want to hear, and as such present the highest potential for yielding the most favorable results. Many attorneys will offer a free/cheap consultation, so take advantage of that and sit down with a couple to see what insight they may have to offer.

r581oa

I have a couple more questions. I was held for about 12 or 13 hours before making bond. Also, I wasn't given any paperwork other than my recognizance/bond page. Are either of these two things unusual? I feel like there are some other papers I should have gotten at least.

The Occultist

I have a couple more questions. I was held for about 12 or 13 hours before making bond. Also, I wasn't given any paperwork other than my recognizance/bond page. Are either of these two things unusual? I feel like there are some other papers I should have gotten at least.
I don't believe that these will affect anything in the least, but I am by no means an expert, so feel free to pose these questions to the attorney/ies you speak with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">