• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dds

What is the name of your state? indiana:confused: father died and previous employer refuses to identify beneficiary. how do I find out?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dds said:
What is the name of your state? indiana:confused: father died and previous employer refuses to identify beneficiary. how do I find out?
My response:

That seems to be a bit illogical or peculiar for the employer to refuse such an otherwise innocuous request - - unless the employer has no idea who you are.

Has a Petition for probate been filed?

Do you know the the name of the insurance company?

IAAL

Last edited:
D

dds

ge group benefits is the insurance company. i provided them with the death certificate. they state since I was not the beneficiary they are not required to tell me. since there were no
assets and numerous debts atty advised not to file in probate. i'm not sure where to begin w/ public record. courthouse in his county? home office for ge is new york. employer located in indiana

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dds said:
since I was not the beneficiary they are not required to tell me.
My response:

Well, then that's your answer. I hate to be so blunt, but if this is the case, then it's none of your business.

The contract of insurance is between the insured, and the insurance company. Once the insured dies, then the completion of the contract is between the insurance company and the named beneficiary.

Sorry, but you may, in fact, never get this information because you're not entitled to the information.

IAAL

D

dds

Is it a matter of public record? If so, where do I begin? As stated, ge benefits will not even advise if it has gone into an "estate". I had been advised not to probate due to assets v liabilities.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dds said:
Is it a matter of public record? If so, where do I begin? As stated, ge benefits will not even advise if it has gone into an "estate". I had been advised not to probate due to assets v liabilities.
My response:

No, the benefits and whomever the beneficiary might be are private; i.e., it is not a public information issue. The benefits are based upon a private contract, very much like the contract you have with a car dealership. If I were to call the car dealership where you bought your last car, and asked questions about the particulars of your contract with the dealership, they'd undoubtedly tell me to "get a subpoena" or "go fly a kite." I am simply not "entitled" to that information. You are simply not entitled to the GE insurance contract information, including the name of the beneficiary, or whether GE has paid the beneficiary, or the name of any beneficiary. Like I said, unless someone happens to tell you about the information, like a relative, you'll probably never, ever, know any of the information. It's private.

Insurance benefits do not go "into an Estate." The benefits are not part of any Estate. The benefits, when paid, skip the Estate and go directly into the pocket of the beneficiary. End of story.

I cannot comment on the advice you may have been given.

I certainly hope this answers all of your questions.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">