• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public records search for civil judgements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shiningsea

Is there a free or paid online site that I can search nationwide for civil judgements? I looked through the county records online in my home state. Nothing. However, I want to assure myself there is not a judgement out there somewhere that I'm not aware of.

adjusterjack

A judgment against you?

If there were any they would show up on your credit reports for as long as a judgment is enforceable. The credit bureaus get court records from all 50 states.

You can get all three of your reports free at www.annualcreditreport.com

If there are no judgments shown you likely don't have any or they are way to old to appear.

adjusterjack

That's Experian. Transunion and Equifax may still show judgments. You can check their websites to find out.

Seems to me, though, that not having a judgment showing on your credit report would be a good thing.

There may be background and credit check companies that pull court records from all 50 states.

What is it that you are concerned about?

shiningsea

Yes, it's definitely a good thing, lol. Transunion and Equifax show no judgements, but concerned they adopted Experian's policy of not showing judgements. 15 years ago, I got a surprise judgement. Don't remember ever getting properly served. But somehow there was a judgement. I'm afraid that one of my creditors, using their local jurisdiction, instead of mine may have done that.

quincy

Yes, it's definitely a good thing, lol. Transunion and Equifax show no judgements, but concerned they adopted Experian's policy of not showing judgements. 15 years ago, I got a surprise judgement. Don't remember ever getting properly served. But somehow there was a judgement. I'm afraid that one of my creditors, using their local jurisdiction, instead of mine may have done that.
It is possible for a company to get a judgment against you if they tried but could not serve you personally and asked of the court an alternative means of service (like publication).

To see if there are judgments against you, you can check court and county records (often these are available online) in addition to the credit reports to check debt status. And you can use a search firm. Search firms charge for their services.

Usually people are aware of judgments because they have been properly served and they appear in court. Or they knew they were being sued but ignored the court appearance. Or they have their bank accounts frozen or their wages garnished or they discover liens on their property.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">