• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Utility back Billing for meter malfunction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kwangduk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

We have our utility bills on auto payment on our credit card. Last month our gas company sent out a new meter to be installed. As it turns out, our meter was malfunctioning since 2007. The gas utility has calculated that I owe $2,000 in unbilled gas usage. They have no actual usage readings and have calculated usage based on 2007 consumption. They also assured my wife that they used the lowest rates available, gave us a 20% discount and have given us 1 year to pay.
Am I responsible for correct meter operation and monitoring?
Do I owe them the $2,000 based on what ever criteria they decided to use? Do I own them any more then I have been billed to and paid to date?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

if I understand your situation correctly, your meter was replaced for some reason and after the meter was replaced, your average usage was higher than before. As a result, they are using the differences in averages to claim you were using that much more for the past 2 years. Yes?

Ok, how have they determined that the meter was malfunctioning. How did they determine is started malfunctioning in 2007?

why did they replace the meter when they did?

racer72

Yes, you owe the money. Why do you think you should receive free gas because of a defective meter? If the error went the other way, would you not want the utility to refund your overpayment?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">