• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled over after buying drugs, not searched and let go. In trouble?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laurakaye

You're blaming the wrong thing, here. Your friend CHOSE to use heroin, one of the most physically addictive drugs out there. He played Russian roulette and sadly, lost.

Don't get me wrong -- there's much wrong with how we handle drug offenders in this country. I'd rather us focus on treatment rather than incarceration. However, I worked with addicts -- many of them who thought they could be weekend users forever.
The problem with addiction is this: you don't know if you're an addict until, well, you're addicted.

quincy

Actually, everyone (besides you) who posted helped to soothe my feelings quite a bit, thanks again everyone!

Anyway, it has been ~10 months and I haven't heard anything from the police, so I think I'm in the clear. I posed this question because I wanted to get an idea of how likely it would be that I would run into legal trouble. I had searched this site and others to try to find an answer, but ended up finding nothing. So, if you were in a similar situation and are looking for answers, this is what I have to say: If you're in Hawaii, and had an encounter with the police similar to the one I had, then I'd say you're probably not going to get arrested. However this is just one "data point", so it is impossible to extrapolate a trend.

Also, to LdiJ and Stevef: I sincerely thank you for your concerns about my health, but not everyone who does drugs is an addict. I buy H only a few times a year. I'm not saying that I think that it is OK to ever do heroin, or that you're incorrect in saying that I should make life changes, I'm just saying that I'm not an addict. That is an important distinction that I wish more people, especially those involved in legal matters, would recognize. I had a friend about 5 years ago and we both used heroin about once a month. One day he was smoking it in his car alone and got arrested, and they made him go to NA meetings and rehab for 6 months as part of his sentence. At the NA meetings and in rehab he met real addicts, and after they all "graduated" from the treatment program they stayed in touch (this is advised by the treatment center to create "support network"). Eventually one of the druggies he had made friends with relapsed, and my friend started doing drugs with him. Now my friend is a full-blown addict and I blame it on this idea that people have that anyone who does drugs must be an addict. Considering how much of a problem opiates are becoming, I think it is important that people stop thinking in such black and white terms and really try to understand the nuances of drug use. Especially those involved in the legal sphere.
We appreciate the update and the thanks, 808StateBoy.

I hope you continue to not hear from the police but, again, if you do, say nothing and get an attorney.

Good luck.

Mass_Shyster

Also, to LdiJ and Stevef: I sincerely thank you for your concerns about my health, but not everyone who does drugs is an addict. I buy H only a few times a year. I'm not saying that I think that it is OK to ever do heroin, or that you're incorrect in saying that I should make life changes, I'm just saying that I'm not an addict. That is an important distinction that I wish more people, especially those involved in legal matters, would recognize. I had a friend about 5 years ago and we both used heroin about once a month. One day he was smoking it in his car alone and got arrested, and they made him go to NA meetings and rehab for 6 months as part of his sentence. At the NA meetings and in rehab he met real addicts, and after they all "graduated" from the treatment program they stayed in touch (this is advised by the treatment center to create "support network"). Eventually one of the druggies he had made friends with relapsed, and my friend started doing drugs with him. Now my friend is a full-blown addict and I blame it on this idea that people have that anyone who does drugs must be an addict. Considering how much of a problem opiates are becoming, I think it is important that people stop thinking in such black and white terms and really try to understand the nuances of drug use. Especially those involved in the legal sphere.
You acknowledge that you shouldn’t use heroin, yet something is drawing to to it a few times a year. Your friend was able to control his use for a time, but eventually became an addict.

If addiction is a disease, you appear to be exhibiting early symptoms. I believe your use, that you acknowledge you should not do, is that symptom.

And I disagree that society turned your friend into a full blown addict. He did that himself.

quincy

I agree with Stevef that no one can "make" someone else an addict. An addict makes himself one by using addictive drugs.

quincy

808StateBoy would be smart to not only avoid buying, selling or using heroin, he should avoid those of his friends who buy, sell and use - this if he wants to avoid police questioning, arrest and possible prosecution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">