• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

punitive damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lostsoul62

So ... you are looking to be compensated by your neighbor for your depression and related medical expenses?

How does this stop the dog from barking?

I asked before, and will ask again:
Have you tried ear plugs?
You know ear plugs don't work. If you are being sue for thousands of dollars that is a very good reason to stop your dog from barking because you can get sue the 2nd time for the same thing if it continues

quincy

You know ear plugs don't work. If you are being sue for thousands of dollars that is a very good reason to stop your dog from barking because you can get sue the 2nd time for the same thing if it continues
I am sorry ear plugs don't work for you. It would have been a nice, simple solution.

The lawsuit is more than likely not going to cost your neighbor thousands of dollars, based on what you have said so far. And it is possible that your neighbors might countersue.

How are you going to support a claim for damages? Do you have medical records showing, and doctor testimony saying, that your depression is a direct result of your neighbors' barking dog?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You know ear plugs don't work. If you are being sue for thousands of dollars that is a very good reason to stop your dog from barking
Based on what you have shared, it is more likely than not that you will lose this case.
because you can get sue the 2nd time for the same thing if it continues
If you sue a second time for the same thing that you sued (and lost) before, then the other party will be able to pursue damages against you for filing a frivolous claim.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I wear noise cancelling headphones at the shooting range. I can hold a conversation with the person next to me, but I can barely hear the gunshots from the lane on the other side of me.

Just Blue

I'm 72 years old, I'm taking lorazepam, anti depression med, afraid to go outside, a dog barks on TV I turn the TV off and the list goes on. If I someone offered me $100,000 to repeat the barking dog of the last two years I would say NO
Dogs bark. Barking won't hurt you. Your reaction to an animal doing what an animal does is overreacting. We are aware of your age (you've mentioned it several times in this thread) and it is irrelevant.

Out of curiosity ...What type of dog is bothering you?

quincy

... OKC has a does have a dog barking ordenance
You live in Oklahoma City then?

Here is a link to Oklahoma City's Animal Welfare Department with information on barking dogs and filing a complaint:
https://www.okc.gov/departments/animal-welfare/programs-and-services/animal-control
You mentioned having made several (14?) complaints in the past against your neighbor. You mentioned in an earlier thread that a dog barking complaint was also made against you and your barking dog by your neighbor.

What became of all of these complaints? You all apparently still have your barking dogs.

Under Oklahoma City ordinance 8-47.3, it is a violation for an animal owner to allow any animal to continuously bark, howl, or otherwise disturb the peace. A violation can result in a citation (fines) and the issuance of terms and conditions under which an owner must comply in order to maintain custody of the animal before impoundment.

What you are driving toward with all of your complaints is having your neighbors' dog removed from their home. I assume that is your goal - because money is not going to solve your problem.

The removal of the dog from your neighbors' home appears to be the only satisfaction you can get, if you have sufficient evidence to support the dog's continuous barking that violates not only the ordinance but also any terms and conditions Animal Welfare might have placed on the neighbors as a result of your numerous complaints.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Be specific. EXACTLY what do you expect your neighbor to do, to stop the dog from barking? How do you stop YOUR dog from barking?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I am going to be blunt: you need therapy. The only one facing thousands of dollars in expenses is you.

Your reactions to your neighbors' dogs barking over the past few years, based on your posts in this forum are not rational.

Get therapy.

(Or get a rooster and get even.)

Just Blue

I am going to be blunt: you need therapy. The only one facing thousands of dollars in expenses is you.

Your reactions to your neighbors' dogs barking over the past few years, based on your posts in this forum are not rational.

Get therapy.

(Or get a rooster and get even.)
I agree. The thread regarding the room-mate is also irrational.

quincy

Although, after all of the complaints against the neighbors and their dog it is probably too late to take a friendly approach (as suggested two years ago), it could still be possible to get the neighbors working on training their dog not to bark.

lostsoul could print off the following suggestions from The Humane Society and send it off to the neighbors with a nice note (and perhaps dog treats):
https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/how-get-your-dog-stop-barking

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">