• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased a parking permit at a lower price, unknowingly wrongfully priced.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erikjmaldonado

Hi folks,

I recently purchased a parking permit at my university. Here's how that went down:
When purchasing the permit, I navigated through the parking site, reached the portal, and the stated price for the academic year was $408. So I bought it.

I was emailed a few days later by parking administration with the following:
"""Thank you for choosing to purchase your Student Annual parking permit through our online parking portal. We noticed an error in the system that allowed Student Annual permit to be purchased for an incorrect price of $408. The actual price of the permit as posted on our commuter services website and approved by the UW Board of Regents is $612. Unfortunately, we are unable to honor the $408.00 price for a Student Annual permit."""

The email then stated three options but they are all practically the same, a full refund or to pay the remaining amount with minus $30 for my inconvience.

I emailed them asking for more time to decide what I want to do so that I do not feel pressured to make an immediate decision while attending my classes, I also asked for the purchase agreement to see what kind of contract was formed, if any. They replied and said I can have an extra week to decide and that the Washington Administrative Code allows them to recall a parking product but did not provide the purchase agreement.

I looked it up and here is the text:
Chapter 504-15 WAC
WAC 504-15-470 Recall of parking permits and gate cards. Parking permits are the property of the university and may be recalled by the parking administrator when:
(1) The purpose for which the permit or gate card was issued changes or no longer exists (e.g., a person who no lon-ger lives in a residence hall would be required to return theirgray permit for refund or credit toward an appropriate per-mit);
(2) A permit or gate card is used on an unauthorized vehicle or by an unauthorized person;
(3) A parking permit application is falsified;
(4) A counterfeit, modified, lost/stolen permit or gate card is used; or
(5) The parking permit fee is unpaid.

I thought I had paid the permit.

I want to know what kind of options I have, or just what I should do? I still want the parking permit but I want them to honor the price I thought it was, $600 is a lot of money.

Thank you for your time and help!

quincy

I suggest you try to negotiate a larger discount to compensate you for your "inconvenience" (perhaps $50-75 instead of $30) and then pay the additional amount required for the pass.

Trying to argue the difference in costs advertised probably will cost you time and effort better devoted to your studies - and I am not convinced you will wind up with the lower price in the end anyway.

erikjmaldonado

I suggest you try to negotiate a larger discount to compensate you for your "inconvenience" (perhaps $50-75 instead of $30) and then pay the additional amount required for the pass.

Trying to argue the difference in costs advertised probably will cost you time and effort better devoted to your studies - and I am not convinced you will wind up with the lower price in the end anyway.
I think you are right about use of time, I will request a full refund. On multiple days it has taken me longer than 30 minutes to find parking anyway.

Thank you for help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">