• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

purchased item and never got a tracking number

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jfournier

fathers day off this year i placed a fairly larger order with an online company. waited over a month and got no tracking number and the company would not reply to my emails. so i went to my bank and disputed the charge. 2 weeks later i have the items i ordered. can i keep these items and my money or do i have to pay them

PayrollHRGuy

You should pay for them. They can take legal action against you if you don't.

Did you really think people here would say it was OK to steal stuff?

LdiJ

fathers day off this year i placed a fairly larger order with an online company. waited over a month and got no tracking number and the company would not reply to my emails. so i went to my bank and disputed the charge. 2 weeks later i have the items i ordered. can i keep these items and my money or do i have to pay them
Most likely they hurried up and got the items to you because the bank was telling them that they were going to reverse the charge. Now that they can prove the shipment to the bank the bank will likely unreversed it. Therefore, do NOT pay any money to the online company directly until you know for sure that the bank is not going to unreversed it.

LdiJ

You should pay for them. They can take legal action against you if you don't.

Did you really think people here would say it was OK to steal stuff?
As an FYI you might want to look at what I posted in post number 5. You actually gave bad advice unknowingly.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
As an FYI you might want to look at what I posted in post number 5. You actually gave bad advice unknowingly.
I think most people would interpret PHRG's statement as meaning let the CC company make their decision and then either pay, if the CC company denies the charge, or leave everything be if they don't.

LdiJ

I think most people would interpret PHRG's statement as meaning let the CC company make their decision and then either pay, if the CC company denies the charge, or leave everything be if they don't.
I do not agree. Many people would not know that the bank could reinstate the charge after removing it. Maybe most of the regulars here would know that, but the average layman might not.

LdiJ

So how about calling the CC company to stop the processing of the chargeback?
I do not think it was a credit card chargeback. He was working with his bank so its likely a debit card situation which would directly involve his bank account, and again, its not simple to interrupt that process.

Why are you so anti the OP operating with a little caution, so that he does not end up paying for the goods twice?

PayrollHRGuy

I was working under the assumption that the reversal was a done deal. I'd also point out the OP never said he used a credit card.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">