• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased item online, company ghosted product and customers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

@quincy filed. @zddoodah it just kinda sucks because you don't buy something super expensive like that thinking it's on a less than one-year life cycle. It definitely makes you approach startups in a new light. I know I've even scaled back on kickstarters for the same reason. This type of thing gives you a whole new perspective on those kinds of projects and I'm pretty sure this company was originally a kickstarter or something like it. The part that really sucks is you know the executives took a lucrative payout package while the lower-level employees and customers took it on the chin (We Work comes to mind). @LdiJ Thanks for your contribution. I am constantly amazed at how much I learn by posting and reading other's posts on this forum and I'm sincerely grateful for that. And that's crazy about the previous manager doing that. I'm assuming he was separate from the owner which would make that easy to do when it's not your company that you're burying. @quincy in response to your last post the last update they posted is to stay tuned and from what I'm gathering from posts around the web that was back in September of last year. Interestingly enough, a lot of those kickstarter and similar sites you're seeing a boost in people coming out with competing products to this and a lot of them are YEARS past their promised ship date and still have no product to deliver and not offering refunds. And this is completely legal. Apparently it's disclosed when you buy it that you are basically buying into the development of the product first and the actual product (if it actually comes to fruition) second. It's crazy that there's no consumer protection laws on stuff like that either because a lot of these projects have taken in millions. Once again thanks everyone!
A consumer will always need to be cautious when buying any product or service, especially from companies that have not withstood the test of time - although, in these current times, even the old companies with good reputations among consumers have not been as reliable as they once were in addressing consumer concerns and complaints.

The terms and conditions of subscription services and the warranties on products must be read carefully. Many times there are clauses in the agreements that relieve the companies of all liability should the companies fail to live up to their promises. And, again, when a company goes bankrupt, the consumer is often left with no service, no product, and no realistic recourse.

We all appreciate the thanks, nwlce, so thank you. I hope your story will eventually have a happy ending.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
@quincy filed. @zddoodah it just kinda sucks because you don't buy something super expensive like that thinking it's on a less than one-year life cycle. It definitely makes you approach startups in a new light. I know I've even scaled back on kickstarters for the same reason. This type of thing gives you a whole new perspective on those kinds of projects and I'm pretty sure this company was originally a kickstarter or something like it. The part that really sucks is you know the executives took a lucrative payout package while the lower-level employees and customers took it on the chin (We Work comes to mind). @LdiJ Thanks for your contribution. I am constantly amazed at how much I learn by posting and reading other's posts on this forum and I'm sincerely grateful for that. And that's crazy about the previous manager doing that. I'm assuming he was separate from the owner which would make that easy to do when it's not your company that you're burying. @quincy in response to your last post the last update they posted is to stay tuned and from what I'm gathering from posts around the web that was back in September of last year. Interestingly enough, a lot of those kickstarter and similar sites you're seeing a boost in people coming out with competing products to this and a lot of them are YEARS past their promised ship date and still have no product to deliver and not offering refunds. And this is completely legal. Apparently it's disclosed when you buy it that you are basically buying into the development of the product first and the actual product (if it actually comes to fruition) second. It's crazy that there's no consumer protection laws on stuff like that either because a lot of these projects have taken in millions. Once again thanks everyone!
I disagree with your views on Kickstarter and similar sites. On those sites, you are not buying a product, you are investing in an idea. Investments come with risks, including the loss of your investment. They always have.

quincy

I disagree with your views on Kickstarter and similar sites. On those sites, you are not buying a product, you are investing in an idea. Investments come with risks, including the loss of your investment. They always have.
I think nwlce might be referring to a company that started with investment funding. Once the funding amount is raised, the company’s products or services must rise or fall on their own.

But, yes, you are purchasing in large part the product or service that is in its development stage, as you would be when purchasing anything from any new company. New businesses, if they are going to fail, will fail in the first two years of existence. The risk, therefore, is going to be greater.

nwlce

@Zigner yes, I understand that. This was one that I'm pretty sure started as a Kickstarter but I bought it in the post-stages when it was actually mass-produced and available in retail stores. TBH in times like these I definitely wouldn't be investing in risky ventures but I have supported a few Kickstarters in the past -- fortunately all made it to fruition. @quincy got a text today randomly from my camera and it looks like the company that bought the original company has another company coming in and taking over the customer service and operational side of things and they also acquired the rights to the site, name, app, etc. It sounded too good to be true and it was until they announced the pricing - $215/year. And this is on top of the $350 initial cost. Weirdly enough the website still advertises the original $10/mo. or $99/yr. For now I'm gonna sit still and decide what I want to do - I'm assuming my original plan was turned back on because today it kicked back on and started working normally even though I have yet to pay anything additional.

quincy

@Zigner yes, I understand that. This was one that I'm pretty sure started as a Kickstarter but I bought it in the post-stages when it was actually mass-produced and available in retail stores. TBH in times like these I definitely wouldn't be investing in risky ventures but I have supported a few Kickstarters in the past -- fortunately all made it to fruition. @quincy got a text today randomly from my camera and it looks like the company that bought the original company has another company coming in and taking over the customer service and operational side of things and they also acquired the rights to the site, name, app, etc. It sounded too good to be true and it was until they announced the pricing - $215/year. And this is on top of the $350 initial cost. Weirdly enough the website still advertises the original $10/mo. or $99/yr. For now I'm gonna sit still and decide what I want to do - I'm assuming my original plan was turned back on because today it kicked back on and started working normally even though I have yet to pay anything additional.
Weird.

I think you are smart to sit still and see what happens.

Thanks for the update, nwlce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">