• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased Vacation Time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcampb74

What is the name of your state? PA

I work for one of the Big 3 auto companies. They are closing our branch in PA and for those not willing to relocate, we need to find other jobs. I recently found another job and gave my notice. I purchased 7 extra vacation days this year. I have paid for 5.5 of those days (the rest was to be deducted from my pay through the end of the year) and I have already taken 2.5 of those days. Now the branch manager will not allow me to take the three days that I have already paid for. I don't understand where this can happen where you pay for something and get nothing. Is there anything I can do? Where does this money go if it doesn't go back to the employee. They are telling me I have to forfeit this time (worth approx $450 to me!).

The company headquarters is in Michigan, of course.

pattytx

OK. Probably won't be till this weekend. I'm swamped at work and I'm just answering the low-hanging fruit till then. :(

pattytx

Sorry this took so long.

I know there are regulations regarding the taking of vacation purchased with pre-tax deductions. Here is some general info from the Bureau of National Affairs payroll management resource:

“Cafeteria plans may include elective paid- va-cation days as a benefit. Under such arrange-ments, participants may use pre-tax contributions to purchase extra paid- vacation days. However, since cafeteria plans may not operate in a manner that ‘defers income’, elective vacation days must be used within the plan year for which the em-ployee made the election. In applying this rule, employees always are assumed to take their regular vacation days before using elective days."
And,
cafeteria plan related purchased vacation/PTO days cannot be carried forward between years. This means that unused vacation must either by sold back to the company (taxable event) or forfeited.
However, I could not find anything that requires that purchased vacation, whether under a pre-tax arrangement or not, be vested. Accordingly, as unfair as I think it is, it does not appear to be illegal.

mcampb74

As I read this however, I am assuming that the branch manager should have allowed me to schedule this time since It was already paid for. I knew I couldn't carry it over and I did give 3 weeks notice of my resignation and he still did not allow me to schedule it, causing me to forfeit the money involuntarily. I guess my next recourse it to make these practices public. The company is already having a public relations nightmare and may think twice about what's happening to these people. Honestly, I think it's the branch manager and HR has no idea what's going on. I want to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else. I can live without my three days, but some people can't and it's not fair that a large company like this take advantage of their employees like this. Many of the employees have been there for 15+ years. I think it's terrible the way they are handling the whole thing. Thanks for your time and effort.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">