• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchasing a car while on SSI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CarGlow

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My sister is on SSI disability and really needs another car because her current car is barely drive able. How can she get rid of her current car & get another car without effecting her SSI disability? Can I gift her a car? I am so confused reading Social Security guidelines on this issue.

LdiJ

She IS allowed to own a car if on SSI or SSDI. You CAN gift her one without breaking any rules as long as she also gets rid of the other one.

FlyingRon

You can swap the old car with the new car and then you can dispose of the old car as you see fit.

Otherwise, it would behoove her to dispose of the old car herself prior to accepting the new one as a gift to avoid a possible gap in her SSI eligibility.

1231a123

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My sister is on SSI disability and really needs another car because her current car is barely drive able. How can she get rid of her current car & get another car without effecting her SSI disability? Can I gift her a car? I am so confused reading Social Security guidelines on this issue.
People on soical security disability are allowed to have 1 car

FlyingRon

People can have as many cars as they want.

SSDI doesn't even care.

SSI allows you to exempt one car from being counted as an asset. If you have two, the value of the second may be a significant enough asset to disqualify you.

steffb503

How does SSI know if you have gotten rid of the old car, just transferred the registration. Do the require a bill of sale to prove you no longer own it?

Just Blue

How does SSI know if you have gotten rid of the old car, just transferred the registration. Do the require a bill of sale to prove you no longer own it?
This thread is 2 months old and the OP hasn't been back. Please don't dig up dead threads.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">