• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchasing an unregistered vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

linnen

I found this car that I want and I know the registration has not been paid for about 5 years since it hasn't been driven and has flat tires and a dead battery. Will I have an issue registering this vehicle and am I responsible for the past non paid registration fees and penalties even though the car has not been driven but not registered with non operation status. Will the DMV waive these fees or is there a new owner penalty fee for registering a car that had not been registered in a long time? I am in Los Angeles and would love any input. Thanks so much!

adjusterjack

The best and only place you should be getting input is from your local DMV office rather than relying on the guesswork of strangers on the internet.

Go there and ask. They will tell you what you will need to do to get the car registered.

I do know that cars have to pass the smog inspection before they can be registered.

LdiJ

The best and only place you should be getting input is from your local DMV office rather than relying on the guesswork of strangers on the internet.

Go there and ask. They will tell you what you will need to do to get the car registered.

I do know that cars have to pass the smog inspection before they can be registered.
Unless I am totally missing it the OP did not give us a state name, and smog inspections are limited to just a few states.

LdiJ

Unless I am totally missing it the OP did not give us a state name, and smog inspections are limited to just a few states.
I just did a google search for what states require smog inspections and my state, Indiana, is on the list, yet I have never, ever, had to get a smog inspection to register a car. Not once in my 46 years of being a licensed driver and owning a car. Therefore, obviously one cannot trust the internet to tell the truth about that. I shouldn't be surprised but I am. Is there anyone out there who lives somewhere other than California state that they had to pass a smog test? I can believe that there are other areas of the country where it is likely required, but now I am really curious about where those places are.

xylene

If you don't know how to address those issues, of getting a car back on the road, then this is not the car for you.

There are a jillion cars in Los Angeles. Find another project car with a better history, or better yet a non-ramshackle car that doesn't have liabilities.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
He said he's in Los Angeles.

Personally, I wouldn't be looking to buy a car that's been sitting around for 5 years. Nothing but trouble and repairs await.

I just did a google search for what states require smog inspections and my state, Indiana, is on the list, yet I have never, ever, had to get a smog inspection to register a car. Not once in my 46 years of being a licensed driver and owning a car. Therefore, obviously one cannot trust the internet to tell the truth about that. I shouldn't be surprised but I am. Is there anyone out there who lives somewhere other than California state that they had to pass a smog test? I can believe that there are other areas of the country where it is likely required, but now I am really curious about where those places are.
Las Vegas Nevada, (I was an emissions inspector there), and certain cities in New Mexico require it.
Shame that emissions and vehicle safety inspection are not a requirement nationwide.

LdiJ

Certain parts of Arizona require it and New York as well.

Just as a note, here is a link to the Indiana emissions testing requirements. It appears to apply to only two counties (Lake and Porter): https://www.in.gov/bmv/2467.htm
Well that makes sense. Those two counties are adjacent to Chicago and do have terrible smog from the steel mills. I should have thought about that. Gary, Indiana is in Lake County.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Hopefully that means that you live in neither Lake nor Porter Counties. https://www.in.gov/bmv/2467.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">