• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchasing car while on Maternity Leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

perpetualkarma

What is the name of your state? California:confused:

I am on maternity leave. Since this is my third child, I needed to get a new car, since my family could not fit in my other car.

I agreed to the purchase of the car, filled out all the necessary paperwork, including my salary, to the best of my knowledge. I did not think to put down my disability pay or the fact that I was even on maternity leave, since part of my leave was vacation pay, and am now getting the same amount of $ from the state.(within 100$ of my original salary..it is actually higher since they do not take out the 401K)

Two days after the purchase, I got a call from the credit union processing my loan, asking me if I was on maternity leave, and how much I made while on leave, and whether I was planning on returning to work.

Now I wonder if my loan is in jeopardy. Was I wrong not to put this fact into the application? Or was it wrong of my employer to inform the credit union that I am on maternity leave? Is it right for the credit union to ask me when and if I will be retuning to work?
THANKSWhat is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

turbowray

hmmm

Yes i think if the loan company called your work to check your statis,it wouldnt be illegal for them to say you are on maternity leave...it is not the same as a vacation...and yes,the loan company has every right to check every avenue and everything about you since they are trusting you with thier money...i dont know if it puts your loan at jepardy? Did you ask them when they asked you about it if it would effect the loan? They may want to wait to see if you return to work before they loan you money...i am in no way knowledgable about this but i am only answering the way i would see it if i were going to loan you money. The senior members here will let you know if i have said anything i shouldnt have and will be wise enough to answer your questions. I hope you get it and i hope your baby is born healthy!! Good luck to you mom!:p

perpetualkarma

Thanks for your answer..
I think the way I took the call was to insinuate that I was less than honest in my application.I wondered if I did something illegal....
I honestly did not think to let them know this...It was just the way it was presented to me as if I was trying to "pull one over" on them..
Thanks again.

BelizeBreeze

perpetualkarma said:
Thanks for your answer..
I think the way I took the call was to insinuate that I was less than honest in my application.I wondered if I did something illegal....
I honestly did not think to let them know this...It was just the way it was presented to me as if I was trying to "pull one over" on them..
Thanks again.
Then find another finance company and if you're buying the car from an in-house company, tell them to screw themselves.

Gadfly

Put yourself in the lenders shoes. They don't know you from Adam. They check up and the information you gave them and wow, it wasn't accurate. Lucky for you you are dealing with a bank that actually uses people to evaluate your loan, not a computer. Call the lady back. Explain the situation. That will go a long way. If they don't approve you, get the finance guy at the the dealer to try again. Car sales are slowing down due to gas prices. They need to sell you the car more than you need to buy it. They'll get in financed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">