• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Q: Neighbor has two aggressive dogs that bark everytime I talk or move when I'm working in my yard. What can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlmiller65000

Ohio

Neighbor has two aggressive dogs that bark when I make a move while I'm gardening. They bark when I talk to my husband while gardening. They bark if I look at them. They're testy, and it's making me testy. We've severely neglected our yard because of examples like this, being that we don't want to work outside.

Today, when I was minding my own business cleaning up my front yard of all places, the dogs screamed as per usual: each move, each sound.

So, I made some comments (not knowing he was out there), like "Really?", and "I am so sick of this crap".

Neighbor says, "They'll stop if you stop talking," (they don't, I can't even walk near my fence without getting screamed at), and then accused me of "dog harassment".

I'm not harassing his dogs, in my opinion; they're harassing me, and he refuses to control them.

He does however want to police how I react to the dogs scaring me by telling me to shut up.

I think I'm entitled to a safe, calm space on my own property.

The fence is 4 feet tall, and the dogs are large and pretty angry (staffordshire/retriever mixes). What do I do?

Last edited:

quincy

Ohio

Neighbor has two aggressive dogs that bark when I make a move while I'm gardening. They bark when I talk to my husband while gardening. They bark if I look at them. They're testy, and it's making me testy. We've severely neglected our yard because of examples like this, being that we don't want to work outside.

Today, when I was minding my own business cleaning up my front yard of all places, the dogs screamed as per usual: each move, each sound.

So, I made some comments, like "Really?", and "I am so sick of this crap,".

Neighbor says "They'll stop if you stop talking," (they don't, I can't even walk near my fence without getting screamed at), and then accused me of "dog harassment".

I'm not harassing his dogs, in my opinion; they're harassing me, and he refuses to control them.

He does however want to police how I react to the dogs scaring me by telling me to shut up.

I think I'm entitled to a safe, calm space on my own property.

The fence is 4 feet tall, and the dogs are large and pretty angry (staffordshire/retriever mixes). What do I do?
You can check to see if the barking dogs violate a local ordinance (perhaps a noise or private nuisance ordinance).

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
There are also ultrasonic bark stoppers designed for outside use - you could look into the different types.

That said... Most dogs will bark under such circumstances - it doesn't necessarily indicate aggression. My three (all hounds) definitely make their presence known - they may be loud, but not aggressive at all. I'd be more concerned if the dogs were quiet/growling.

A four-foot fence is likely adequate for containment, especially if they've yet to jump it.

adjusterjack

Options.

Buy a "no-bark" ultrasound device that sends a high frequency signal to the dogs. They are available on Amazon..

Douse them with water from your garden hose.

Pepper spray.

This is the owner's responsibility. Do what you have to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">