• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

QMP and Retirement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LeaChristopher

Can a soldier who is being QMP'ed retire if they have over 18 "good" years before their ETS date? When I say "good" years, that is being currently an active duty soldier being QMP'ed with 18 good years due to a combination of reserve and active duty time. Do those good years count? TIA

PayrollHRGuy

I don't know the ins and outs of military retirement. I do know that the QMP is there to deal with NCOs that don't complete certain courses. Being discharged for such should effect otherwise effect retirement.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The soldier should have received a notice of their rights upon receiving the notification of QMP selection. The soldier should contact the Judge Advocate's office.

FlyingRon

A QMP is just the "motiviation" for discharging you. It doesn't enter into the retirement eligibility. The problem is that 18 years isn't going to qualify you retirement. If you had 20 in (for the Army) you could have "retired" out rather than kicking out on QMP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">