• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Qualifications for a lemon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smr1619

I bought a CPO 2017 F-150 3.5 that had 15k miles form a ford dealership in Carlsbad, Ca last December and also purchased there extended warranty. I've taken my truck to 3 dealerships for 4 issues and the last dealership is where I bought it. After a couple of months I noticed there were oil spots in the driveway. I took in to have them look and they said that the oil pan was replaced(was not told about this) and that it's just residual oil. The other issues is that my truck as a slight hesitation when I hover around low speeds or driving in traffic. The next issue is rough shifting, the downshifting at low speeds is bad. The last issue is abnormal ticking, I know the HPF ticks, but I have a video and it's bad. They couldn't reproduce any of my issues. The next dealership power washed under my truck and couldn't find a leak, couldn't reproduce the other issues and said since it's not providing a code, Ford doesn't have to do anything and pretty much told me, since you have a warranty bring it back when it gets worse or breaks. The last dealership also couldn't find a leak and said my truck sounds normal they couldn't reproduce the hesitation. Does my oil leak issue fall under the lemon law? They technically haven't worked on it because they don't see a leak, but it's clearly leaking. I'm taking it back next week to give them another shot at fixing my issues.

FlyingRon

The lemon law doesn't address the extended warranty. It only covers that which is covered under the manufacturer's warranty.
Second, having lots of small programs doesn't make a lemon. You have to either have had the dealer try to fix the same problem four or more times, or the car has to have been unavailable to be driven for more than 30 days.

adjusterjack

The next dealership power washed under my truck and couldn't find a leak, couldn't reproduce the other issues and said since it's not providing a code, Ford doesn't have to do anything and pretty much told me, since you have a warranty bring it back when it gets worse or breaks.
That's probably the dealership people talking, not anybody from FoMoCo.

If you expect any kind of positive resolution you should read the CA lemon law, learn your rights, and possibly consult an attorney who specializes in it.

http://autopedia.com/html/LemonLaw/CA_lemonlaw.html

FlyingRon

Yeah, you should work your way up the Ford service chain to get the issue resolved before accepting any particular service departments BS.

Go into the dealership and ask for the service manager and politely tell him the problems. When he gives you the runaround or the BS gets to about knee height pull out a notebook and ask for his full name and his supervisors full name. When he asks why tell him because it's the first thing your attorney will be asking for. Then just look at him with pen poised above paper and say nothing more.
You should see an almost miraculous change in attitude.;)

FlyingRon

He can try that, but I'd jump to the Ford customer relations to try to get them to find a corporate answer to the repeated problem. The information on how to do this is on the second page of your Warranty book (or you can look it up on Ford's website under WARRANTY information). If asking there doesn't merit a response, Ford participates in the BBB AUTO LINE dispute resolution for warranties. Again that information is in your warranty booklet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">