• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Qualifying child for Stimulus Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

livinmybestlife

Hello, My daughter lives with me nearly 75% of the time. In 2018, I claimed her but have already turned in my 2019 taxes. For 2019 I signed Form 8662 per our court order to allow her Dad the ability to claim her for his year. I do not know if he has turned in his taxes yet or not, but assume he did.

I know that no one has a crystal ball, but does anyone have any knowledge about which one of us would get the additional amount for our daughter? I don't think she would be a qualifying child for him because he did not have her more much more than 50% of the time, but wonder if she could even be considered my qualifying child since I signed that form for 2019. Perhaps neither of us will be eligible for it based on that?

I am considering giving him a portion of the additional amount it if it comes to me, despite the fact that I don't think he would even consider doing the same in return.

PayrollHRGuy

It is my understanding that the check will go to the parent that claimed the child in 2019 if they have filed their 2019 taxes. If they haven't it will go to the parent that claimed the child in 2018.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">